Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Canada Wanna export Guinea Pigs From Peru

D

Dobleo

Hi,

I am a peruvian citizen who become canadian resident last July, but I am still living in Peru, South America. Also I have a sister living in Orangeville, ONT for ten years.

Peru is one of the countries which have the most varieties of guinea pigs. Most of the people said that Peru is the country which guinea pig are from.

As you know, for old peruvians cultures (2,500 B.C.), guinea pigs (in spanish "cuy" or "cuye") were very important animals. Nowadays, in many peruvian cities, people eat guinea pigs, but also there are people who consider guinea pigs the best pets.

For that, I would like to start a bussiness exporting this cute animals to Canada or USA, for pets. I have an interesting project to train the guinea pigs and select them for export. Also we feed them with organic food to preserve their health.

If you want more information (including photos) about peruvian guinea pigs, or you have information to share with me, I would apreciatte an answer. Also, if you know people who is interested in start this bussiness as my clients, I will be happy to contact them.

thanks,

Oscar
Contact information deleted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dobleo---You have come to the WRONG PLACE to start your business!!! No one here is going to help you make the population of guinea pig worse in the United States than it already is. This is a pro-rescue site, not to help people like you make the shelters even more full!!!!!!!!

Hi Weaver,

I think you did not understand or you have a little confuse...(maybe as little as the guinea pigs population en the shelters)

I´m not planning to send guinea pigs for the shelters....I am looking for people who really love guinea pigs for pets...and also looking for people who want to have THE BEST AND MORE CUTE guinea pigs: peruvians (see photo, and if you want, i could see more photos).

I am sure I am in the best place and I will find people interested.....hope you let people to read my message .

Thanks,

I don't think you understood what WEAVER meant Dobleo. This is definitely the wrong site for you to be advertising what you want to do.

There are already thousands of perfectly cute, loving guinea pigs in shelters and rescues through the United States and Canada without someone importing more. Basically, what you're trying to accomplish is no better than the breeders we are also against. This site is PRO-RESCUE and ANTI-PETSTORE/PURCHASE. That would also mean we're not particularly fond of the idea of bringing more animals into the country to sell to people instead of advocating them rescuing an animal that someone abandoned.

You say you're not bringing guinea pigs in to send to the shelters. That's obvious. They wouldn't take them from you like that. But that is precisely where many of them will end up. People buy guinea pigs, care for them for a while, get bored and turn them over to shelters to take care of. Then if no one comes along to adopt them, many of those end up getting euthanised because there is just not enough room for the shelters and rescues to house all of the pigs that are irresponsibly bought and bred from pet stores, private breeders or private importers, such as what you want to be.

Even if I thought what you want to do was at least a non-nauseating idea, which I do not, there are a couple of other things about it that I question.
A) What makes Peruvian guinea pigs "THE BEST AND MORE CUTE guinea pigs"? None of them are any more worthy than the others.
B) How were you planning on getting the pigs here? At best, shipping animals internationally is cruel. At worst, it is dangerous and deadly with the amount of people that have to handle the crates and the lack of space, food and water the animals are likely to have. Were you planning on travelling to Peru and bringing them back 2 or 3 at a time, so you could feasibly care for them properly on the trip?

This is not a free classifieds board where you can post the business you want to start without consideration of the tennants of the forum. Your message is not being deleted, but your contact information has. Do not post your email address or any website advocating what you plan to do, or they will be deleted as well.

I´m not planning to send guinea pigs for the shelters....I am looking for people who really love guinea pigs for pets...and also looking for people who want to have THE BEST AND MORE CUTE guinea pigs: peruvians (see photo, and if you want, i could see more photos).

We have peruvians clogging up our shelters and dying all over North America, because NO ONE wants to take care of them.

Anyway, this is not a board that favours one breed over another, it does not matter if your pigs are cuter then the ones typically seen here, the fact is, if you bring them here, they will either take homes from those that are already here and facing death, or they WILL guarantee it, end up in shelters and being killed themselves.

Lots of long haired peruvains die every year. Your pigs will be no different.

Don't do it. Keep your pigs in Peru.

Dobleo said:
I am sure I am in the best place and I will find people interested...

I seriously doubt it. I think you are the one who is a little confused. WE don't care about the perfect piggie. We love all piggies. They are all the best to us. Each has their own distinct personality and that makes them perfect to us.
We all know how many cavies there are in shelters and rescues already and do not want any more sent in to this or any country. We want to find loving, forever homes for the ones that already exist. We are overrun with beautiful cavies and can't find homes for the ones that do exist. Why would you want to add to an already overwhelming problem by shipping even more of these animals over here? :confused:

Sorry, I seriously doubt you will find anyone here who wants your business.

You sent me a private message (which I have not and do not plan to respond back to you), but I will answer your question on here so if you have any trouble understanding someone besides myself can
help you.

Your message refering to your other thread in Cavy Chat stated:
Hi weaver,

did you say crappy?

If you please can explain it?

Yes, I did in fact say "crappy". I was referring to "your crappy business", but I also meant crappy people like you who are only in business to make money and do not care who they run down in the process. It is very obvious that you do not have the guinea pig's best interest at heart, you have dollar signs. Very sad.

I am also just curious, you stated in your post that you train guinea pigs---what the heck do you train them to do?

Last edited:
There is no money to be made in importing Guinea Pigs. Make no mistake of that. People looking for pets can buy one at the store for $15.00. Others looking to show (which no one here does, it is against the aims and goals of this board). won't want your cavies beause they are not going to be up to show or breed standards. Cute? yes, pedigreed? no.

Don't bring your guineas to North America. Many will die on the trip. You will go broke, will not find good homes, and for the few you do manage to "distribute", they will either end up in animal shelters themselves, or take up the homes of an animal in a shelter, causing it to be killed.

An animal shelter is a place in North America, where you take animals you no longer want, and they become someone elses problem. Other countries have them too, but North America is full of animals shelters, killing unwanted guinea pigs.

They may be very popular in Peru as pets, but they are not that popular here, North America is more of a dog and cat place, and this is not because we don't have cute snuggly guineas, they come in about every shape and size and colour you can dream up. Long hair, short hair, crazy hair, curly hair. Soft hair, rough hair. Black, white, red, brown, cream, some people even dye the hair into other colours, green red, blue. Does not matter, they all die in the end out of being unwanted.

Within an hour to two hour drive of Orangeville I can find you 100 pigs that do not have a home. I have to take in two I don't want next week just so that they will not die, until I can find them a good home.

Don't bring your pigs here. This is not a good business idea.

VERY well said C-A-K.

• Post hidden due to user being banned.
exdobleo said:
But I am very sorry to find people like WEAVER and PERCY´S MOM. They are supossed to be the administrators but they do not accept any comment or question that they do not like. They closed my account (dobleo)
No one closed your account. You still have not responded to your email confirmation that is why you cannot post using your old name I persume.

I went ahead and banned your new name. You are only allowed one user I.D.

No one will be deleting your posts. They will stand as they are.

Hey Weaver and Percy, congrats on becoming admin! I thought Percy's Mom was only a Mod and Weaver was a Cavy Slave but it looks like yet another uninformed person has upgraded members of the site.

And just for the record, Dobleo, crappy is a word that comes from crap, which is another word for poo. Crappy means bad, bad like poo, get it?

Special thanks to Cavies-and-Kids for your very good answer and information. I would like to have communication with you about guinea pigs, and I think you shoul have your own forum and website...

C.A.K : I came to this site with an offer; and reading your answer, I know that there is no the right place and maybe sending Guinea pigs to north america would not be a good business.

I am glad to hear that we will not be having to find homes for the Peru pigs too. Perhaps once you are established in Canada, you can help us find homes for some of the cute pigs that are homeless. The pigture by may name is of a sweet girl who was rescued by a very kind soul when she was going to be put to sleep, then she had to wait over 6 months to find her forever home with me. I have another long hair that was dumped at a shelter, covered in matts (Tangled fur) so bad that half of her had to be shaved down to the skin). The other one I adopted was listed by some uncaring people who took so little care in finding her a home when they did not want her anymore, that they had no idea if I was going to care from her, or feed her to a snake!

I can't take in the two girls I am getting this week forever, one has long curly hair, the other has bed head (short sticking up called Abby). But, I am going to find them a good home! You can count on that.

I wish you luck in your fresh start in Canada, just try not to involve any live animal businesses in it! Even most petstores and breeders don't make money off of the sale of animals here, they do it for the attraction (pet stores) and because they like having babies (private breeders) although with the risks to mom having babies (20% die) and the overpopulation, we frown on both practices on this site. Our culture towards Guinea Pigs is very different then that in Peru.

The only people who can make money selling guinea pigs are those that treat them horribly, keep them locked up in small cages, on dirty bedding or no bedding because they can't afford to change it very often, and feed them very bad food.

Now, a good business idea may be to produce a high quality guinea pig food and hay. THAT is something we definately don't have, and I just don't have the capital to invest in!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.