Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n Some advice please...

AliceTittle

Cavy Slave
I want to become a vegetarian, and give up all meat and seafood. It will be hard because I love chicken, but I will do it because I want to work with animals, and rescuing them. I was thinking how can I say I rescue animals, and then go home and eat them for tea? So basically, I am only *** so parents are a large problem. My parents are not animal people, and our houshold is eventful at the best of times, so me becoming a vegetarian will not go down well.

Also, I know alot of the people on the forum are parents themselves, and I was wondering if you could give me advice on the best way to approach my own about the issue. When I have brought it up before, they have completly refused to let me become a vegetarian while I am still living in their house. They don't understand my love for animals, or the cruelty and pain the endure.

Another problem is, I am not very informed on what I would replace meat with so I would continue getting the right balance in my food. I am a very picky eater at the best of times, but I will try my best to try new things.

Last edited by a moderator:

sweetjay6891

Cavy Slave
Okay, im *** and i know how you feel. My parents love meat. My grandfather is a diabetic and has to eat meat. After showing them this: (broken link removed)

They change there ways. Morningstar Farms and Boka Are super yummy meat replacsements. The best you can do is look at the ingragiants. Alot of stuff has beef or chicken broth and thats a no no.

Heres the Best Place that shows what you can eat: (broken link removed)

Have you tried talking to them by letting them know what there putting down there throats and what there supporting? Let us know the updates!~

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Go onto the peta website and show them some of the video clips. Ask them what are their main concerns and tell us what they are worried about. We may be able to find you some information.

You're from the UK right?! If so, try quorn. I swear, I live on this stuff. They do mince, sausages, chicken peices, ham, fillets etc etc Just go into your local tesco's and it's all there! Eat lots of dark leafy vegetables to get iron. If you're really worried about vitamins, you could take a supplement. I was looking on the Boots website and they have some specially for veggies. and vegans.

When you say work with animals, do you mean vet? If they are not animal people, will they really want to fork out your tuition fee's for uni?

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
My grandfather is a diabetic and has to eat meat

I've heard quite a number of people say this, that they *must* eat meat because of diabetes, and it's simply not true. With the help of a physician and dietician, there is no reason why a diabetic cannot be vegetarian. I'm a nurse; I used to work exclusively with endocrine disorders, like diabetes, and I saw a great number of vegetarian diabetics.

I've found that when people say they *must* eat meat due to a health reason, they usually are a)unwilling, so it's not a "can't" be vegetarian, it's a "won't" be vegetarian or b)unwilling or afraid to ask their doctor/dietician for assistance in planning a vegetarian diet.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
That is so true susan - a lot of my friends are like 'Oh I can't be vegetarian, I'm still growing' or 'I'm aneamic so I have to eat meat'. Yes, meat does have iron in it, but so do other things. They're just spitting out excuses

AliceTittle

Cavy Slave
I'm not clever enough to be a vet! My parents have said they will support me, but while I live in their house I eat what is served. I am not sure on what I plan on doing, but I know I will definatly be working with animals, even if it is not my full time job.

Yes I am from the UK, and I will definatly try Quorn! Thankyou for that suggestion. I will plan my diet more, and I bet I will end up being alot more healthy than I am now! I am so happy there are replacments I can have, because them I won't feel so much I am eating nothing.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
I'm sure you are! I think I may become a vet, but the tuition fees are ludicrous. They're going up to £3000 a year and my parents are not happy!

Quorn is brilliant - you're right because without it I would feel like I'm on a guinea pig's diet! You can make all sorts with it - lasagna, shepherds pie, spaghetti bolognese, chicken curry etc etc

I had definately become more healthy, as have my family. Trust me, you're going to feel great

AliceTittle

Cavy Slave
No, I have given up on thinking I am going to be a vet because I stand no chance. My mum works in Liverpool University as a lecturer and she just said that places are so limited I should probably concentrate on something else. I would love to work with the RSPCA, maybe as an Inspector? I will really have to think about it.

On another topic, I am going to take Food for a GSCE and make everything vegetarian, so I will hopefully know some good recipies from that. Does Quorn taste any different? And is it healthy, or is it full of additives etc...?

Thanks for your help!

ScottandDebbie

Cavy Champion
Cavy Slave
Hi AliceTittle,

Our daughter was a vegetarian years before Scott and I joined her. She was 15 years old, she is now 21. -- When we would serve meals, she would eat everything except the meat. She then began to cook several different types of beans dishes, and freeze them in single size servings.

When we would eat, she would go to the freezer and pop in one of her frozen bean dishes into the microwave, and eat that with us, instead of eating the meat.... And thus it began.

Scott and I are now vegan, and Christa still remains a vegetarian, so the pendulum has now swung the other way now... LoL

sweetjay6891

Cavy Slave
First of all, I meant vegan. It is nearly impossible for that to happen when your a diabetic. I never said he wasnt willing or did i say i wasnt possible. PLease stop putting false words in my mouth. They did become vegans, but i feel like quitting this whole forum and the adults on this are rude and have no respect. iv tried to help and be polite but iim about to quit

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
But how could anyone tell from your post that you ment vegan? You only mentioned meat, not all animal products.

How has anyone been rude to you? Susan knows quite a bit about both subjects. You can learn a lot by staying and listning to her.

ScottandDebbie

Cavy Champion
Cavy Slave
sweetjay6891 said:
Morningstar Farms and Boka Are super yummy meat replacsements.

Have you tried Morningstar Farms Chik'n and Steak Strips.. they really are good?

I just went to their website, (they have a well designed website.)
I didn't know that MorningStar is a Kelloggs brand. .

(broken link removed)

I am still looking for a great tasting hot dog. :important
Maybe I'm too picky. (?)

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
It is nearly impossible for that to happen when your a diabetic.

Again I have to say that this is not true. With the help of a dietician and a physician, there is no reason why a diabetic cannot be a vegan. It's true that it may be a little bit more difficult and require more meal planning, but that doesn't mean it's impossible. As a nurse, I've worked with many people who were diabetic and meat eaters, diabetic and vegetarian, and diabetic and vegan. The only difference is how they manage their insulin.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.