Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Separate these guys?

kimwinpa

Cavy Slave
We adopted 2 male GP in December(they are between 1-2 yrs old). We've had to move the cage a couple of times trying to find the right spot in our home. With each move, the dominate piggie gets very aggressive. There is lots of noise, jumping on the other, and just lots of pestering. Overall the dominate pig is a pest to the other one, but it is worse when there is a chage. Tonight, the 2 are just being terrible. There has been no blood drawn, but at what point do I know I need to separate these guys?We are trying to find the right spot to make our CC , so right now they are in a regular large pet store cage. Help!Kim W

kimgrif

Cavy Slave
I'm not a piggie expert like a lot of the people here, but simply put, I think your poor little boys are just too CROWDED and they have no where to go to get AWAY from each other.

You need to get your C&C built, and fast.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
So far everything they've done is normal. Everytime you move the cage, they have to reestablish dominance because their environment feels different to them. kimgrif is 100% correct though. Keeping them in too small a space like that is only going to make things worse. Pick a spot and build the C&C. You can always move that cage later if you feel that it's necessary.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Yes, they need more space and at least 2 or 3 of everything. Try to build a loft too.

kimwinpa

Cavy Slave
To update our situation. Wednesday night when I posted, we ended up moving the pigs back to where the cage had been and just kept watch to be sure things didn't get too aggressive.Yesterday, we went to the sign store and picked up the coroplast. I had called the day before, and the girl asked "Is this for a GP cage?" I laughed and said yes.When we picked it up the guy at the counter, assumed it was for a GP cage and asked questions about if we already have them, how long and such....we talked, when I mentioned being surprised he knew it was for GP, he said they sell probably a sheet a month for GP !I thought that was really something. Word is getting out. GP need more room.My husband, children(all 4) and I made the new cage last night. The GP were moved in and they have been so busy. There has been some vocalness, but no pestering each other.We created a 2x4, for the 2 pigs. We plan to add a loft but that must wait until the weekend. I added paper bags for hiding and extra food bowls. So far it seems they like their new home.Thanks for the help!Kim W.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
That's awesome Kim! I'm so glad to hear that your boys are getting used to each other and their new big surroundings. Seems like the majority of their squabbles were indeed lack of space.

nonamian_girl

Cavy Slave
Wow, coroplast is becoming that popular? That's awesome.

jdomans

Cavy Slave
Kim I am so glad to read about the good news. You know Pigtures are next for us right?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.