Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

pickie piggies

KPIGGY

Cavy Slave
Hi all.

I am feeding my 2 girls oxbow timothy hay and they are going through a 40oz bag a week. It is costing £9 GBP a week.
I am a single mum of 2 daughters and 2 piggies and I am on a budget.
I have tried other hays which are slightly cheaper but they wont eat any of it.
Do I just keep giving them the expensive one or give them a good cheaper one and leave them with it? If I do that will they eat it eventually when they realise that they are not getting the other one.
Also is that alot of hay for 2 pigs to eat or not?
Thanks in advance
kerry

Eolith

Cavy Slave
Is there a livestock feed store anywhere near where you live? Bales usually sell for around $5-$7 dollars (I don't know the relation in money). Anyway, you should try that.

WEAVER

Cavy Slave
I have three piggies and the 40 oz bag lasts me about 10 days or so. Do you have it in a hay rack where the spacing on the wires is wide and a lot of hay is falling to the floor? Maybe your piggies are wasting their hay.???

KPIGGY

Cavy Slave
The hay is in a hay rack and I have a basket on the floor for them. They are eating it all but will only eat the oxbow timothy hay nothing else. I tried another one this week and left it there for 2 days - they wouldn't touch it.

WEAVER

Cavy Slave
Well Oxbow has one of the best hays and your piggies are no dummies :) I think maybe you should look try and look at it this way. . . Don't you wish you could feed your other two children as cheap as these two?

i love piggies

Cavy Slave
Kerry I totally understand what you mean. I would love to feed all my pets the best brands but I don't. I go for best quality at an affordable price. I would try and mix some of the cheaper variety with the oxbow. It may help.
My pigs would never go without, but neither would I. So don't feel bad about being on a budget.

LindaDelta

Cavy Slave
You might try phasing in the new hay. One quarter new stuff and three quarters old stuff for a few days. Then cut it to half and half for a few days before cutting out the old stuff altogether.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.