Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nala has died

Giplet

Cavy Slave
I woke up this morning and noticed immediatley that something was wrong. Nala wasn't moving. I picked her up, she was still alive but she was very limp. I put her down on my bed amongst my quilt because I thought she'd be more comfy there and she didn't balnce right and she just flopped to one side. I tried to give her some food, she wasn't interested in dry mix or hay so I got some cucumber. She took that from me but she didn't chew it.

I took her to the vets and he had a feel around and said it was her abdomen. She needed an operation, but the state she's in now she wouldn't be able to handle the aneasthetic. so he kept her in, said he'd give her some fluids and if she hasn't improved enough to do the operation in the next few hours, then it would be best to put her to sleep. An hour later he called me and told me she had passed away.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
I am so sorry for your loss.

Southerngirl

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry to hear that. My condolences.

my_oreo_cookie

Cavy Slave
Oh, I'm so sorry!! I know how it feels to have lost a pig all of a sudden. I'm so sorry. Just remember, its ok to cry. I cried all day.
Poor piggie. Just remember the good things.

Giplet

Cavy Slave
Thank you. I have been crying all day, but I have an exam tommorw and 2 on Friday so I'm concentrating on my revision, but every time I see Misty move, I just think of Nala and I start crying again.

Misty doesn't seem to have noticed yet, but she's going to get lonely.

pennick

Cavy Slave
I am very sorry for your loss. Time does heal.

Fluffball

Cavy Slave
Im so sorry.... let it all out and know that you gave her a wonderful life, she was lucky to have you as an owner and friend.

Rest in peace nala may you be happy over the rainbow bridge...

Marlania

Cavy Slave
Oh, I'm so sorry for your loss.

Herbie Girl

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry about your loss. ((((((hugs))))))

Becky

BabyGrl

Cavy Slave
I am so sorry for your loss.

Mudpudles

Cavy Slave
I'm really sorry to hear about the loss of your beloved little Nala. My thoughts are with you during this time. I know she will surely be missed. R.I.P. little one.

Giplet

Cavy Slave
Thank you all for being so kind. I keep crying every time I think of her, the thought that I won't see her again, that she is gone forever. :weepy: But I'm also thinking about Misty.

Misty is on her own now, will she miss Nala, will she greive? She has seemed more quiet today. I will get her a new friend, but it's like I'm replacing Nala and I could never do that. But Misty needs someone. Will she be ok for a couple of days?

KPIGGY

Cavy Slave
So sorry for your loss. God bless you

Fluffball

Cavy Slave
Misty may be fine or may go into what appears to be depression. She may become sluggish and not eat as much and not appear normal. She may also ''chirp'' and call late at night for Nala.

Be with her, comfort her. Make sure she eats and drinks. Take her mind off nala by giving her new toys or re-arranging her cage. Distract her anyway you can. Her depression should pass in time and will not last forever.

Matching up a new pig will help ease the depression (if she sufffers it). She may not be as happy before but it will make her act more ''normal'', and she may be more healthy and happier than she would be alone. Wait at least two weeks before getting her a friend. She has to realise her friend is gone and go through mourning as well. If her health is suffering badly get her a friend the sooner the better.

If you cant geta new cavy and its just not an option for you at this time, you can move her to a new place of scenery and get her a stuffed animal toy. Cavies are fine with these as company however a real cavy is better, but if its just too painful misty should be fine for a while.

See https://www.cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm#Death for extra information.

Goodluck and let us know how misty is. You and her are in my thoughts and prayers at this time.

Giplet

Cavy Slave
Thank you, that info has helped a lot.

guineapiglvr14

Cavy Slave
I am very sorry for your loss.

daftscotslass

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry to hear about Nala, Giplet. You have been given some great advice above.

JennG

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry for your loss. It's terrible when we lose a beloved pet. Good luck on your exams and try to get through those. Give Misty lots of love and in time you may want to consider a new friend.

Stradivarius

Cavy Slave
So sorry to hear.

I play in a big band and next Tuesday when we play, we'll do a rendition of "Amazing Grace" and dedicate it to Nala.

Giplet

Cavy Slave
That is so thoughtful. Thank you so much. Thank you all.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.