Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

opinion question

Midnight Wonder

Cavy Slave
Hi all! I'm new here, and I will soon be adopting a guinea pig. I have a question and I'd like to hear many opinions on it.

I will be making a 2x3 C&C cage, because I can't afforf to spend too much on it. Now, I have heard that that size is ideal for one pig, possibly two. I want to get two because I know that's better for them, but I'm not sure if the cage will really be big enough.

So does anyone have any advice? Is 2x3 big enough for two pigs? If not, is it worth it to sacrifice loneliness for a decent cage size, or maybe sacrifice space for a friend?

Thanks!

DaCourt

Cavy Slave
Even though a 2x4 is recommended, a 2x3 would be ok. The main page here says that is the minimum. As long as they can still run laps. You can also make a loft with a ramp that does not interfere with that. If a 2x3 is the largest you can go, then better to have a little less space and have 2 pigs, than you have one lonely pig.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
If you haven't bought and cut the coroplast yet, go ahead and get a full sheet and make a 2X4 cage. You won't be spending any more on the coroplast and a 2X4 only takes 2 more grids (a total of 10), so you'll probably have all you need from one package anyway. The extra slightly over a foot of space will be hugely worth it to your piggies, especially if you get boars since they are a bit more territorial. You obviously have done a lot of thinking on this. Do you already know where you will be adopting from? If not, please post your city, state, and you won't believe how many possible piggies people on here will help you find. Good luck!

Midnight Wonder

Cavy Slave
Thanks--- should I post that here or in a different forum? I have a place in mind (Have A Heart GP Rescue) but am looking for every possible option!

Just in case:

Cherry Hill, NJ

=)

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
I've heard great things about Have A Heart. I believe there are several other forum members thave have adopted from them, and from the looks of their list on https://www.petfinder.com/ , they have over 100 guinea pigs looking for foster homes and forever homes. I'm sure you'll be able to find a couple that will steal your heart! If you haven't already checked on petfinder for other options, I plugged in Cherry Hill in a regional search for guinea pigs and came up with 219 of the little dears.

Midnight Wonder

Cavy Slave
Yep, I've done that search, and I wanted to find a place that I could go to see a lot of pigs before choosing one. Have A Heart seems just right. I talked to the lady who runs it, and she grabs all her pigs out of local shelters- that's why she has so many!

..now I just hope they approve me... it would be quite a setback if they didn't!

homeschoolmama

Cavy Slave
Ditto what Percy's Mom said.
Even if one rescue doesn't approve you, I'd try another. I learned that one the hard way. But if you are denied for any reason, I'd also ask why... maybe they have reasons that could be easily fixed!

Hope to "meet" your new piggies soon!

rachieanne99

Cavy Slave
In my current living situation, I only have room for a 2x3 cage. I live with 5 roommates, so I can only put the cage in my room. After arranging my furniture in endless ways, and even taking a few things out, I could still only fit a 2x3. I have 2 piggies, and they seem to do fine in the space. They are a mom and daughter and were already bonded before I adopted them--so I think it helps that I didn't have to do the whole introduction thing in a smaller space. I wish they did have more space--and I do plan on making it bigger as soon as I can. For now, I just make sure they have tons of floor time to run around as much as possible. If it is only the cost you are concerned about--it really won't be much more to make a 2x4. If you buy a sheet of coroplast, there is MORE than enough for that size. If you have the space, I would suggest building the bigger cage. Either way--2 pigs!!!

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
You're probably right rachieanne. You have 2 bonded girls, so the 2X3 works ok. Bigger is always better though if you have the space and resources. I think a single sheet of coroplast can make the base of up to a 2X6, and depending on the box of grids you buy, you should have enough for up to a 2X6 (16 cube grids) as well. If you decide to go with boys, a 2X3 will work, a 2X4 would be preferred to give them a bit of space, and anything bigger would just be more fun to watch them run around and play with the extra space, plus you would have plenty of room if you decide to get a third.

Myspoiltpiggies

Cavy Slave
I have two boars in a 2x3 (with a 1x2 loft) and they popcorn and runs laps so I do believe it is enough space.:)

laura220

Cavy Slave
I don't think a 2x3 or 2x4 vary in cost at all. The grids will cost from $10-20 and the coroplast, depending on where you can get it, should be $10-30. An average box of grids contains 15-30 grids which will easily make a 2x3 or 2x4 with loft. So the whole cage should come out to about $20-50. The only thing standing in the way is space normally. If you have the space for a 2x4 I say go for it!

Look around for places to get your materials cheap. If you have old election signs..free coroplast! Check your dump or local freecycle or dollar store for grids.

Midnight Wonder

Cavy Slave
Well, now that I am considering a 2x4, I'm not sure if I will have room for it! I am living in an apartment at school, so that might take up half of our living room. Heh.

Also... is coroplast lightweight? Obviously, over summer break I am going to need to move out of the apartment and bring piggies with me. I'm wondering if it will be easy to transport.

Thanks everybody for your help!

Laura

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Coroplast is made of plastic, it's actually corrugated plastic and very lightweight.

Harleigh

Cavy Slave
I opened the phone book to the sign companies and asked if they had any extra pieces of coroplast. They all said they would be more than willing to donate to the piggie cause. All I had to do was tape the pieces together. I highly recommend this for anyone who is on a tight budget and trying to remodel or build a new. I would suggest washing before putting together, they are scraps.

I would also say that if you add an upper deck they will have enough room to run around on the bottom level, but enough to explore and not get bored with a second level. Saves on space too.

SkinnyPiggys

Cavy Slave

rachieanne99

Cavy Slave
Midnight Wonder said:
Well, now that I am considering a 2x4, I'm not sure if I will have room for it! I am living in an apartment at school, so that might take up half of our living room. Heh.

I know what you mean. My girls' cage takes up the majority of my teeny tiny room. I have the smallest room in our 6 bedroom house, and my roommates think I am absolutely crazy for building such a huge cage (and moving out bookshelves and chairs to fit it in). But, I guess they don't think I'm crazy enough to let me put the cage in our huge living room!! ha, oh well. If my piggies are happy, I'm happy. Plus, I love having them right in my room. Good luck with everything!

bbqbarbiedolls

Cavy Slave
I live in a small apartment and had to do a lot of rearranging, but I was finally able to put a 2X5 up against a wall for my 2 soon to be four boys. Maybe if you rearrange or use a different shape it'll work out. However, I think that a 2X3 would be okay too.

WEAVER

Cavy Slave
I just recently made my boar a 2 x 3 cage and once you put their "Stuff" in there you would be surprized how quickly it becomes full. You really should either make a 2 x 4, and if the length of the cage is not going to fit where you need it too go up and make a second level. With one sheet of chloroplast I was able to do full grid height on the back wall so the shavings would not make a mess behind the cage and also make a 2 x 2 loft with a high back. I just barely had enough chloroplast left to do the ramp so measure carefully. That configuarion though fits the one sheet of chloroplast perfectly and you can get away with one box of grids if you are not needing the cage enclosed.
Good luck with making your cage and don't forget to cable tie it is much more stable.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Harleigh said:
I would also say that if you add an upper deck they will have enough room to run around on the bottom level, but enough to explore and not get bored with a second level. Saves on space too.
I just want to reiterate that the main level must meet the mimimum recommended size. Upper levels do not count for overall square footage and ramps take away from square footage.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.