Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

keeping multiple levels clean

Pa_piggies

Cavy Slave
I like the multiple level ones, but how do you clean them?

We are always taking the wet shavings out from under the water bottle because every waterbottle we had seems to make water in the cage, maybe they shake it too much. I tried a water dish but they put their paws in it and poop in it so no go. If I had a high level on top of another, how do you get in to empty the bottom level.

I also like all the stuffed beds and that but how do they not poop or pee on them. with so much stuff in there how would I be able to clean it good. Also how often do you empty the entire cage of shavings.

With the upstairs, do the pigs ever fall off of the second floor. that makes me worry about that, but I would like to add a second floor. I glued popsicle sticks on the ramp but they chewed them off. I thought about carpet, but they pee on the ramp so much I would never be able to get the smel out of it. I also worry about them eating the rug. I just made a small ramp out of coroplast and glued popsicle sticks on, but that was to get to a small loft that only covored half oof the cage. I took the loft down to chamge the size and shape of the cage. Now I am thinking of the best cage set up to do.

guineapiglvr14

Cavy Slave
You have to make doors to access the bottam floors.

JennG

Cavy Slave
Ok first of all, I used to have a three level cage. It was difficult for me to clean but I probably needed to add a few more doors.

As far as shavings, I use fleece throughout my whole entire cage. I do have four potty areas (one being under the hay rack) for them to do their business. Some of it gets in there, the rest has to be scooped up. I have eight girls, so I've started scooping up poop in the mornings and in the evenings. I thoroughly clean my cage every 5-6 days.

The 2nd level I have whole grids up for the 2x3 part and the 2x2 part. The walkway from the 2x3 to 2x4 has grids that hubby cut in half and we sanded down the rough edges.

My ramp is two bent grids with a piece of coroplast tape on. I have a rag rug I got from Walmart for like 78 cents. I use binder clips to hold it on the grids. This way I can take it off when I clean the cage and wash it.

The cushy beds and stuff. They do poo in it and sometimes pee. I just throw these in the wash as well. I try and have another set to replace them when one set is in the wash.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

RyanR

Cavy Slave
I can reach my top two levels very easily but I'm tall. As for the bottom two. I have swing doors on all the second level except for where the loft is. The bottom level I can nicely reach into and I get it clean with a companation of vacuming and sweeping.

Lyndsay

Cavy Slave
Use fleece, it helps quite a bit, my cage design is difficult to clean even for me. But its the boy's happyness that I do it for not mine. Swinging doors, and ramps that come off might help you out too.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.