Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

The Latest and Greatest Ramp!

Eolith

Cavy Slave
I know, I know... I'm bragging. I can't help it though! This is the fruit of nearly 6 hours of work (that's including the normal parts of the cage). Not only is it beautiful, but it is a new style that I haven't yet seen so I thought I'd post the link so you can all ooh and aah over it. lol

Ask me any questions about how to build it or what it's made out of and I'd be more than happy to answer!

https://photobucket.com/albums/b160/Eolith/Eoliths GP Cage/

P.S.
The guinea pig you'll see in the framed picture is Trapper, a cavy I owned 2 years previously. Unfortunately he lived life in a store cage... I wish I could turn back time and give him such a beautiful cage as this. :weepy:

SpoiledlilPigs

Cavy Slave
Im confused... not to rain on your parade or anything cause it is a very nice looking cage (really like the white and blue color of it). But ive seen tons of 2x6 cages.

The rubber ramp is a good idea for grip but id be worried about them chewing on it and rubber cant be good for there little digestive tracks.

ScottandDebbie

Cavy Champion
Cavy Slave
You did an *excellent* job. I could see the detail better when I did the "slideshow". And I saw the picture of little Trapper.

Nice Job. :)

Henriettaah

Cavy Slave
Very slick! Looks great. :D The ramp looks very sturdy!

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
How did you make it?

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
How exactly did you make the sides of the coro go up like that?

Eolith

Cavy Slave
I'm glad you aprove! Well... most of you anyway. Guinea pigs rarely eat inedible things when there are plenty of edible things to be had... like hay. The rubber is pretty thick, they'd have to be trying pretty hard to bite off any of it. While the cage itself is pretty normal, I thought that the the ramp was a pretty 'new' thing.

Here's how we did it:
We took 10 ml coroplast and cut out the area between two of the corrugations(sp?) on each side at the distance that we wanted the walls to be when put up. It's pretty thick and tough to deal with, but I think the end result is quite satisfying. Anyway, once that was done, we used a hot glue gun to stick the sides upright (it usually takes two layers, one on the inside and one on the outside). We cut the rubber to the correct size and stuffed it into the base of the ramp. It won't slide, but it can still be pulled up for simple cleaning. We drilled two holes into the top of the coroplast, used cable ties to secure it, and voila! We had a perfect ramp! (Also, the sign stores can tell you how best to cut the 10 ml stuff if my explanation didn't quite 'cut it'.)

BabyGrl

Cavy Slave
Looks great!!!!

kimmee

Cavy Slave
Awesome!

What is that rubber you used called? Where did you get it? :)

Eolith

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure what it's called exactly, but it's usually used on garage floors or to line horse stalls/areas. The stuff we used was purchased from Costco (I don't know if they still have it or not). You can also look in the ad section of horse magazines like Equus for the material as it is also used for crosstie areas as well as the stall lining.

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the idea! I think I'm going to do that when I expand their cage.

Micki

Cavy Slave
Is it easy to clean? Does any poo get stuck? It sure look slip resistant and that's what I have woried about with my girl.She is not much of a climber! I am just a noobie but I think it looks wonderfull. I will be doing a loft soon I may have to copy you!

Eolith

Cavy Slave
I haven't used it yet, but the rubber can come all the way out of the ramp. (I showed it partially out in one of the pictures). Before putting it in, I used a scrub brush and mild soap to wash off the rubber in the utility sink. It was super simple and pretty easy to dry off.

Kriket

Cavy Slave
Thats great! I love it... that was a wonderful idea!

aqh88

Cavy Slave
How exactly did you cut stall mat lining? Must be cheap thin stall material. The stuff I have in my stalls couldn't be cut with a large table saw. Of course it took 3 people just to get the piece off the floor to use the table saw. After 2weeks and a few broken saws we managed to get 5 stalls done. That's when it was decided stall skins are the way to go. https://www.stallskins.com/stallskins.html. I always wondered if that stuff could be put to use in a guinea pig cage but I don't have anymore extra to test the idea.

Eolith

Cavy Slave
I used a box cutter to cut through the stuff I used, but that particular rubber isn't the type usually used in stalls, it's just similar enough that stall lining could probably substitute for it. You can find the exact material that I used on the link that I posted in one of the earlier posts. It also has some price listings further down on the page.

Eolith

Cavy Slave
Here's another link:

(broken link removed)

The material itself is called Tuf Sponge. You can look it up on Google or Froogle.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs rarely eat inedible things when there are plenty of edible things to be had... like hay.
I have known many members who have provided unlimited hay and other good yummy things to eat and their pigs have still eaten bedding, coroplast, puppy pads, etc.

Your cage is looking pretty good.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.