Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Floor Time Trouble

• Thread starter pink_cottonball
  • Start date

pink_cottonball

Cavy Slave
Well, once again I'm stumped. lol We had our first floor time on Saturday night. We decided that they trusted us enoguh and needed to get out. So we let them loose in the bathroom with there hidey houses and a few new toys. They didn't run around very much at all. They explored and walked quicker for a bit and we took turns holding them, but they hardly did anything. They didn't hide in their hidey houses and after exploring for a bit they sort of stood still. They hid under the ledge of our cabinets chasing each other and they hid behind the toilet doing who knows what. Charlie chased an empty toilet paper roll and Moe chased a ball, but only for about three seconds! I don't see the point in it if it's for excercise and all they do is sit? Suggestions on making it more interesting and encouraging to run around and explore would be appreciated. Also, I know we should have had it earlier becuase it was their first time in three weeks!:eek: So how often?? Every other day for about half an hour to and hour at a time? Once a week?Help me out!!
;) pink

BabyGrl

Cavy Slave
I try to do floor time everyday for at least 30 minutes. Sometimes I can't sometimes I can. Don't worry if they are not playing. They need that time to get out and explore and eventually when they are a little more used to it they will liven up.

laura220

Cavy Slave
I've begun to have that same problem. But I find that spreading bits of lettuce and other veggies about helps. Once Ginny knows there's some she wants more. Also draping a towel or newspapers around(not just in one corner) might help. Interacting with the pigs during floortime helps too. Ginny runs over(or lets say waddles quickly) to my hand and then I chase her a bit. She seems to love it(I'm guessing because then she popcorns).

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
Daily floor time is important, no matter what the size of cage. Not only does it provide an opportunity to really stretch their legs out, but it gives them a different view of the world. Personally, my pigs get 2-3 hours of floor time each day. Up to an hour in the morning while I clean their cage, and up to 2 hours in the evenings when they get their dinner.

Your pigs didn't move much because they were scared. The first time out of the cage for a real explore is pretty worrying to piggies. Once they get used to their new floor time surroundings and they have regular floor time they will get braver and you'll see them really perk up!

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
You said you gave them floor time in the bathroom. Maybe the floor was cold, so they were avoiding running around. Do you have any old towels or a blanket you could lay on the floor to get them used to it? If they're not used to floortime at all, maybe they're just confused as to what they are supposed to do out of the cage.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Use cardboard boxes and make play areas with them, make tunnels and houses with 2 doors and give balls of paper and toilet paper tubes stuffed with hay. Also lay down towels or fleece or something warm for them to lay on. Make sure they have water to drink also. My girls didn't do much for their first floortimes. Now they love being out of the cage. It's more convenient because now I can open a door on the cage and let them free range my bedroom and the hallway for a couple hours each day but they have access to their cage for food, hay and water. I put out cardboard tunnels and houses along the hallway and lay down some towels because the hallway is all linoleum. They get piggie trains going and play follow the leader.

nonamian_girl

Cavy Slave
Maybe your bathroom floor has tiles and they don't like its texture cuz they're slipping around? My one pig refuses to go on any slippery floors. I also have "an emergency exit", and at first I had to bribe Georgia to leave her cage, but now both girls just run around my apartment whenever they feel like. Normally they just end up sleeping under my desk in my bedroom though, so even floor time doesn't necessarily mean "run around like crazy just cuz you can" time. Just give it time and bribe them :p. And yes, giving them a couple of safe places helps too, I made Georgia a bunch of box tunnels the first time she was out in my bedroom and it really helped.

pink_cottonball

Cavy Slave
Can they drink water out of tray like cats and dogs? Must they have there water bottle??I'm thinking every other day for about and hour and a half? On weekends every day for a longer period of time? Sound good? Please answer about the water. Sorry about posting this thread in thhe wrong spot Ly! :sorry: :)

lilmasweet

Cavy Slave
I think that it would be better to have a water bottle in the cage so that the bedding doesn't get in it but a tray of water on the floor would probably be ok. I've heard that they can drink from a bowl but have never used one personally. The schedule you are thinking about for play/floor time sounds good. Good luck.

sweetspice221

Cavy Slave
pink_cottonball::yikes: NEVER give your guinea pigs water from a bowl. Always give them water from a drip bottle. If you give It to them In a bowl It can get contaminated, Because they will probably end up swimming In It, peeing, And pooping In It. I hope this helps.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
NEVER give your guinea pigs water from a bowl.
Bull. You can give water in a dish as long as you make sure it's almost constantly fresh and the pigs don't pee or poo in it.

I don't know why old 5-6 month old threads are being dug up and responded to anyways. Check the DATES on the threads before posting replies people.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.