Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Aggressive Piggy

• Thread starter jessicaspiggies
  • Start date

jessicaspiggies

Cavy Gazer
This past week my eldest piggy has been acting very aggressive towards my younger ones (even injuring the smallest foot). I have separated them until I get a bigger cage which is coming in the mail, but every time I get all 4 of my pigs in the playpen together he starts chattering his teeth at the others. I'm scared if I'm not there to control the situation a fight could break loose. He is 4 months old and I heard 4-14 months is a very hormonal time for them. Does this sound like just puberty? I have another one the same age and he doesn't cause any problems at all. If anyone has any tips to get them all to bond that would be great.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It's VERY difficult to get more than two boars to live together, and we never recommend trying it. And if they're in a space that's too small, the likelihood of squabbles and injuries increases dramatically.

Also, if you've got him separated, leave him separated. That means no play time together. If you're going to try putting them back together, you should wait until you get a larger cage -- you'll need 20 square feet for four boars. Pigs are wired to establish dominance every time they get together with another pig, and you're just makings things worse by separating them and putting them together again.

If I were you, I'd get two cages and set them up as two pairs.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.