Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Skin Problems Skin problems (looks like dandruff, hair loss) persistent for months

Twolilpigs

Cavy Slave
Alright, so one of my pigs has had skin issues for months and I feel so bad for the poor baby.
I had posted a thread here: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/116768-Dandruff-scabbing!-Mites-Fighting-(And-nail-clipping-help-)?highlight= when I first really noticed.
Since then I had tried nizoral shampoo for a bit and it didn't do much. After a few weeks of that I took him to the vet and the vet said that it was fungal and that he didn't have mites so I was sent home with a prescription shampoo. That shampoo didn't work either and I went back to the vet and he said to keep using the shampoo and gave me some wipes as well (don't work either).
I have noticed that lately my cat has had a quite a bit of dandruff too and I am losing my mind here.
His cagemate is completely asymptomatic.
I have looked at some of the dandruff under the microscope and I don't see any mites
Not sure if I would see anything even if they were there but I'm desperate.
I have looked online and called some different vet practices but I haven't had luck finding another vet that will see guinea pigs.
There are pics in my previous thread that I linked here and it looks pretty much the same now (luckily it hasn't gotten any worse) but I can take additional pictures if it would help.
Any suggestions are welcome. I feel like I'm going crazy and I feel so helpless! ):

little_piggies

Cavy Slave
Alright, so one of my pigs has had skin issues for months and I feel so bad for the poor baby.
I had posted a thread here: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/116768-Dandruff-scabbing!-Mites-Fighting-(And-nail-clipping-help-)?highlight= when I first really noticed.
Since then I had tried nizoral shampoo for a bit and it didn't do much. After a few weeks of that I took him to the vet and the vet said that it was fungal and that he didn't have mites so I was sent home with a prescription shampoo. That shampoo didn't work either and I went back to the vet and he said to keep using the shampoo and gave me some wipes as well (don't work either).
I have noticed that lately my cat has had a quite a bit of dandruff too and I am losing my mind here.
His cagemate is completely asymptomatic.
I have looked at some of the dandruff under the microscope and I don't see any mites
Not sure if I would see anything even if they were there but I'm desperate.
I have looked online and called some different vet practices but I haven't had luck finding another vet that will see guinea pigs.
There are pics in my previous thread that I linked here and it looks pretty much the same now (luckily it hasn't gotten any worse) but I can take additional pictures if it would help.
Any suggestions are welcome. I feel like I'm going crazy and I feel so helpless! ):

Hi there my guinea pigs had the sane symptoms and I also thought it was a fungal it turns out it was mites and I suggest that?s what?s going on with your pig

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Twolilpigs

Cavy Slave
Thank you both so much!
I'm reading the thread that bpatters posted and I feel like an idiot. I thought for sure that the vet would be able to see mites if they were there. I feel so bad for my poor pig!
I'm ordering some topical ivermectin now.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.