Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Helping an in need pig, need ideas please

wheekermommy

Cavy Slave
Hi all,

So I found out from a friend that they know someone 2 hours away that was looking for a free guinea pig cage. I asked why, turns out this poor male piggy has been living by himself in a 20 gallon aquarium for a year now. His owner got him as a gift and had no idea that was not the the ideal home and was quite upset to find out she hasn't been treating him the best. He also was only fed a diet of pellet until my friend introduced him to hay and fresh veggies. So naturally my heart is sad for this piggy and I decided to help.
I have have a 2x3.5 cxc cage I was saving as a travel cage I am giving her. I also am making grid tunnels and some fleece forests since he has no hideys. I was going to give her some extra hay and a bag of oxbow pellets. It also sounds like the only running around he gets is in a box so I am giving her a grid playpen I made. Is there anything else I can do to help this piggy? I know he needs a new friend but she doesn't have the time or money for him.
Also I have some fleece flippers I am not using, do you think they are to much work for a beginner? currently the piggy is just on wood shavings. I use fleece liners and love them but I know they are a lot of maintenance. Last idea, do you have any ideas for a kitchen I could make not using coroplast? Hopefully with something I might already have lol
Thank you!

equinox96

Cavy Slave
Way to go!

I would just put loose wood pellets in a section and then fleece all over the rest IF your friend is interested in taking care of fleece. If you go with this option, I find it easy to care for as long as you have a vacuum to clean up the fleece then you have, what I think, is a winning combination. I find smaller cages get too small when you add inserts like kitchens and litter boxes. IMO

Another thing, I would print out a care sheet as well as a list of all veggies they are allowed to eat and put emphasis on vitamin C. Maybe give a few tricks on how to get them used to veggies.

One last suggestion, let them know that it is important to have water and food in the playpen as well.

That's all I can think of right now.

wheekermommy

Cavy Slave
The piggy is in his new home! It was both heart warming/breaking to see him popcorn around from just having a tunnel and a bit more space. Such simple things people don't realize that make a difference.
That was a good idea about the wood pellets, turns out though fleece is too much maintenance for her. She currently uses kiln dry pine but I gave her some carefresh so she could see other beddings. Oh my gosh we thought alike, before I left work I printed off different sheets from Guinea Lynx, plus a personal veggie chart I made. Unfortunately though she has poor vision I found out so I hope she can read it. I stressed multiple times he needs bell pepper and lettuce daily if possible. So far all he has been getting is baby carrots. I did list other veggies like cilantro and she did seem like she wanted to try and get him some. I wish I would have brought a couple for him to try. Good idea on the play pen, I will write her a quick note tomorrow. I also told her to keep in touch and to ask any questions.
Thank you for writing back! The piggy appreciates it!

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
So happy for the pig! Nothing worse than living in an aquarium with no hay or veggies, much less anything to keep him occupied. Good on you to help.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.