Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n soy "eggnog"

homeschoolmama

Cavy Slave
Has anyone tried this? Is it good? And THICK? I ask because this is the first year I'll be dairy-free at Christmastime, and while I absolutely hate the stuff I have made eggnog french toast every year for Christmas breakfast. It's been a tradition since our first year together, and I'd hate to break it.

Tatalp

Cavy Slave
It's absolutely excellent, but it's not thick.

Maggie

Cavy Slave
Ugh, I don't know how some people like soy, in my opinion. I personally don't like it, other people do, like Tatalp.

crittermom

Cavy Slave
Maggie said:
Ugh, I don't know how some people like soy, in my opinion. I personally don't like it, other people do, like Tatalp.
Was there a point to that comment?

We just finished a quart of Silk soynog over the weekend and it was delicious. I actually prefer the less-thick texture over traditional eggnog, and it's much lower in calories and fat. Why don't you give it a trial run in your french toast recipe now, just to see if you like it? You might be surprised.

homeschoolmama

Cavy Slave
Hmm, that's a good idea crittermom! Thanks :) I've never bought more than a quart of eggnog in a year, and didn't want to pick too much up. But it's got to be close enough now for me to get it & not have it go bad... Last year I used the leftover eggnog in my Christmas tea, and I can't wait to try that with soy this year :)

I like soy milk also. So do my husband & daughter. I've been drinking it for about 3 years now, and exclusively for a full year.

ScottandDebbie

Cavy Champion
Cavy Slave
Silk soynog is very good.
We are not really fond of soy... but this drink is good.

We mostly use Vanilla Almond Dream rather than soy, but have found that Silk is good as well.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
I've never been a fan of any type of eggnog because of the thick texture, so if the soy is thinner, it would probably appeal to me. I agree with crittermom. Do a trial on the French toast and see how it turns out.

amyjane

Cavy Slave
I don't really like egg nog, but I love the stuff Silk makes. My non-vegetarian boyfriend just devours the stuff.

homeschoolmama

Cavy Slave
It worked!!! No added "egg" needed either. It was a teeny bit runnier than normal eggnog, but WOW did it mix in to my cinnamon tea well :) And our french toast is amazing. Can't wait to make a HUGE batch tuesday morning :)

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
I tried the So Good "Noel Nog" this weekend. I didn't care for it as much as the other So Good products. (The Omega Vanilla is awesome) but my husband, Mr. "I hate soy milk" drank the whole carton so I guess he must like it OK.

I will have to track down some of this Silk "Soy Nog" and give it a try.

jacblades

Cavy Slave
the silk nog has actually improved since last year. it tastes more like egg nog.
i do drink regular egg nog as well and i always have to mix 50% egg nog with 50% skim milk since i dont like drinking something that has the texture of lard. the soy nog is still a little thick for me but i find adding vanilla silk thins it down well enough. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.