Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n Breast Cancer & Soy link??

sophistacavy

Cavy Slave
Hello. I now participate in Meatout Mondays, and I am looking into more ways to substitute cruelty-free items for meat.

My mom has always had this thing about breast cancer being linked to soy intake. She said the more soy you get, your chance for breast cancer increases. I was wondering if this was true or not.

Also, I don't want to have the extra calories of the vanilla or chocolate flavored Silk, but I don't really care for the taste of the plain Silk, so I was wondering, is there a such thing as rice milk available in the cardboard cartons? I had some wonderful vegan ice cream ("rice cream", haha) that was made primarily from rice milk, and that tasted soooo good. I think I could manage plain or skim rice milk. Right now I drink plain organic skim cows milk. Do they have organic rice milk?

Ok, well, thanks in advance!

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
Soy has not been shown to cause an increased risk of breast cancer in any controlled studies that I know of. There are, however, studies that have shown that increased soy consumption decreases the risk of breast cancer:
Adolescent and adult soy intake and risk of breast cancer in Asian-Americans -- Wu et al. 23 (9): 1491 -- Carcinogenesis
Soy, Isoflavones, and Breast Cancer Risk in Japan -- Yamamoto et al. 95 (12): 906 -- JNCI Journal of the National Cancer Institute

Yes, rice milk is available in cartons.

pigsmakemesmile

Cavy Slave
Rice milk is available in cartons. As far as soy...I went into premature menapause at 30 for unknown reasons. Anyway, I began drinking soy milk 3 times a day and by the 2nd month, mother nature came it's way for the first time in 15 years. So I stopped the soy, and it didn't happen again. So I went back on the soy and low and behold....mother nature happened again. I heard that it can cause this to happen so I only drink it once in a while.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.