Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

10 pigs in aquarium

laura220

Cavy Slave
I came across this picture a second ago. Scroll down to the bottom of the page.. (broken link removed) Poor pigs.
The pictures were taken at a french animal market. As you can see in the other pictures they had over 30 hamsters in small aquariums and very overcrowded bird cages. Many different birds were for sale(including chickens and ducks), dogs and cats and small animals including rats, hamsters, degus, gerbils, chinchillas, moles, guinea pigs and rabbits. It's amazing the tanks don't look too dirty.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
Oh, that is discusting. How sickning. Does anyone know the content of the page?

LuvMyPiggers

Cavy Gazer
That is sickening. I remember my vet telling me that once, she was in a petstore getting dog food and remembered a horrible smell coming from the guinea pigs aquarium. She asked the owner and he said he was "Hibernating". She went and scooped him out only to find flies eating his body.. EW!

So another leson learned there..

LuvMyPiggers

Cavy Gazer
I believe the content is in russian, portugese, or something similar? Im not completley sure...

LuvMyPiggers

Cavy Gazer
Ok, I tried a couple translators and found that it is not dutch, portugese, italian, russian, german, or obviously not spanish...

I am interested to find out what it says...

laura220

Cavy Slave
It's finnish, I can read it.

The mice breeders were on a trip to France. I'll translate it all in a bit if I can spare the time.

__ben

Cavy Slave
Is it? I was going to say hungarian O well their both Finnoeukric launguages right? That looks like a French Pet store to me, although most stores in france keep there rabbits free range I was suprised to see some in cages... but yep baby pigs small cage thtas how they keep their pigs.

laura220

Cavy Slave
Here's the translation..

Tina's Paris Trip

The trip was supposed to be totally vacation, without any pet store issues..and then we drove past it all on the bus. I convinced my traveling friend to come with me to check out the pet shops and animal market, on this page there's stuff about them.

All together there must have been 5 pet stores. They mostly sold birds of which most were canaries, who had a wide variety of colors. There was also a good amount of parrots, cockatoos and other large exotic birds. The smaller birds were from my guess in 20x30x25 cages alone the large birds had a little more space. Of course those cages hardly fit one bird at all and don't even think about flying space. There were alot of smaller and larger chickens in about 50x50x50 glass boxes("cages"). There was a such a big a rooster it took up almost the entire box. The rest of them had just a little more space.

Different breeds of puppies, which there were plenty of for sale, were in pairs or trios in about 4square meter glass "kennels"(in most cases only 2square meters) with eco-shavings as bedding. Kittens were in many stores in the same type of tanks but smaller. Most of the dogs and cats were purebred for example; chihuahuas, labs, terriers, siamese, burmese and persians I recognized.

All the stores were neat and clean or almost.

(Under the first picture in italics)
Looking through the door to the right you can see the puppy's glass cages.

There were rodents in all the shops, mostly guinea pigs and dwarf rabbits which were by the dozen in half a square meter space(if even that). Rats and mice were plentiful, in one store there was at least 10 rats in a 30x50 terrarium, and in a different store about 30 mice in the same size terrarium. In a few stores there were groups of almost mature syrian hamsters in the same terrarium - soon to be a tank of flying fur(this problem isn't much better in many finnish pet shops). In the rodents case different species
were happily mixed together, you could find rabbits and guinea pigs, guinea pigs and ducks, 8 gerbils and a dwarf rabbit and degus and a chinchilla in the same enclosure. Out of these the last mix looked to get along for now, they were sleeping in a pile.

(italic writing under second picture)
In this store in the first glass enclosure was 5 rabbits and 5 guinea pigs, in the other
about a dozen guinea pigs and about 10 ducklings. In the terrariums above those were
gerbils and hamsters.

I did end up finding 'hyppymyyriä'(gerbil type animal not sure of the exact name) in every shop. The gerbils were mostly agoutis and argentes, but there were some other types like nutmeg, lilac, one siamese, ivory cream and black. The gerbils were kind of on the small side and their coats were very greasy. The encloures were by finnish standards way too small and there was very little bedding. There were degus in 2 or 3 shops, about 10 per terrarium - at this point you can guess right that the terrarium wasn't big at all.

The positive bit was that most of the rodents had enhancements(branchs, houses) like in finnish stores and there weren't any sick animals to be seen.

There was a wide selection of cages, from the pictures you can see they were set out on the street. The prices of the cages, pet supplies/accessories and animals was cheap compared to what's in Finland.

On sunday we found our selves in the public animal market which is located by the Notre Dame cathedral. Like before most of the animals for sale were birds and there weren't any cats or dogs. You could find cages of all sizes, colors and designs..the prices were much better then in Finland.

(italic writing under 3rd picture)
The animal markets large cage selection.

(italic writing under 4th pic)
The bird's cages at the animal market. Pretty much the same as in the pet stores. But yeah these must have been a little bigger.

(italic writing under 5th pic)
Exotic zebra birds.

There were rodents at the animal market too; rats, mice, hamsters, chinchillas, degus, gerbils, guinea pigs and rabbits.

(italic writing underneath 6th pic)
Over 30 Robo hammies(you can't see the amount too well in the picture cause they're all sleeping in a pile in the corner). The coconut was full of the hamsters aswell. The terrarium was about 30x60.

(italic writing under last pic)
Guinea pigs.

citronsoul

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure what the standards are in France, but when I was in Paris I saw a market that was selling animals. No large animals, just the types mentioned by Laura. I still remember a tiny cage that was stuffed with dwarf hamsters. They could barely turn around. It was depressing.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.