Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Genitals Odeta's Medical Thread

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
I did make a thread for Odeta in this forum once before, but it's so ancient and resolved at this point I'm not even sure it's worth linking. I did try to reply to it and get its title changed instead of making a new thread, but it was too old.

So, Odeta needs to go to the vet. Unfortunately they're closed right now, and they aren't open until Monday.

Awhile back, maybe on Monday or Tuesday, I noticed some redness in urine on the Carefresh shavings, in three different spots in the cage. I checked each pig, and couldn't find any evidence of blood. Theo had a bit of dried foul-smelling discharge around her vagina, which worried me and I cleaned her off, and so I thought she was the most likely culprit. It didn't happen again until today, Saturday, when I just went to pick up Odeta and discovered she has red streaks on her backside. I wiped her anal/vaginal area with a tissue, and the tissue was smeared brownish red. She even left a bit of blood on my sweater.
In hindsight, Odeta has been especially grumpy for the past couple of days, but she's always been a grumpy girl, and I assumed that she was in heat, especially since she's also a bit stinky, even when I'm not checking out her privates.

I double-checked Theo and Bitters' bottoms, and they're both (but especially Theo) smelly as well, and a little bit yucky, but no blood. Should I assume that they just need a bath, and Odeta's the only one with a medical issue, since there's no contagion that would cause this? The only dietary changes they've had lately are that they've been eating SPS instead of KMS hay for the last couple weeks, and that recently I started giving them red leaf lettuce in addition to green leaf.

Is there anything I can do while I wait for the vet to be open on Monday? I could also take her to the nearby vet that's open now, but while they do have vets experienced in treating guinea pigs, they aren't actually certified exotics vets.

Odeta has had digestive problems in the past involving chronic soft stools and her not engaging in enough coprophagy, but this seems to be unrelated and her stool is currently fine.

Update: She peed out a whole bunch more blood. Going to non-exotic 24hr vet because I have no choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The vet did a quick ultrasound to see if she could spot any obvious stones- not a full x-ray or ultrasound like would have been ideal, but there weren't any technicians available. She didn't spot anything large, so we're going to start Odeta on Bactrim and once the exotics vet is open on Monday I'll call and schedule an appointment.

Just for reference:
The exotics vet did an X-ray and we found a small stone, too small for surgery and too far in to manipulate from the outside, but hopefully she will pass (or even has already passed) it. She also prescribed ten days of Metacam to help with the pain. We decided to finish out the course of Bactrim in case Odeta also had a UTI, especially as the urine had a funky smell to it that may have indicated infection.

Odeta had her last doses of both medications today, and tomorrow we will see how she feels. I'm changing their bedding to white soon, as I'll be able to see any blood more easily- I had wanted to do this earlier, but the store only had brown Carefresh in stock.

i hope she is better soon!

Thank you!

Did you see this at the top of this thread?

[h=3]*ONE* thread per Pig in the Med Forum! Do you have a thread that's too old to edit? Please post the URL of that thread in the first post on this thread so we can easily find the information.[/h]

When you say "she peed out a bunch more blood," do you mean that it's just plain blood, like you'd see if you cut yourself, or is it blood-tinged urine? The first is an emergency, the second isn't, unless she's unable to pee at all.

I'm sorry, I'll paste her old thread's URL when I get home. It doesn't contain anything relevant, though.

It was hard to honestly tell at the time- it turned out to be blood-tinged urine, but there was so much blood that it was nearly as red as plain blood and I couldn't be sure, hence why I took her to the 24-hr vet immediately rather than waiting for the exotics vet to be open.

Lately it's been just slightly pinkish urine, though. I suspect that it's even been colorless sometimes, I'll know for sure once I change the bedding to white.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I messed up, guys. I just came home (early) from a family vacation and discovered that the petsitter had been giving Odeta and Theo the wrong pellets. I'd forgotten that I'd been doing a brand comparison for a new piggie owner on the 6th and I left both bags out, I don't know whether she was exclusively feeding out the bad bag or if she was using them interchangeably. But I was gone from the 7th til tonight, and I just discovered literal YEARS-old Kaytee pellets with fruit bits in them in my piggies' dishes.

The reason this is in Odeta's medical thread is because she's down from 811 grams to weighing only 758 two weeks later, and because she's had two bladder stones in the past, and has chronic soft stools. There were also uneaten peppers in her side of the cage (which isn't super surprising, because she's been picky lately) but combined with everything else I'm pretty worried. For context Odeta is five and a half years old, also.

How worried do you guys think I should be, exactly? I want to take her to the vet, but money's really pretty tight right now after Bitters' departure (and Theo just got a cyst drained). Is this an emergency or should I give her extra food and see if her weight goes back up first?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'd immediately get her off those pellets, and also take her off veggies until her poop firms up.

I doubt four days of bad food will cause any lasting damage, but definitely keep a close eye on her, and get her to an exotic vet if things don't improve ASAP.

Switch her back to her regular food.

Personally, I wouldn't consider this an emergency. If her appetite is still good and her behavior is normal, I would keep an eye on the weight. She's at the age where I've typically started to see weight and activity changes related to age. All of the pigs that I have had at more senior ages have gone through periods of weight fluctuation.

Not to say that this is definitely what is happening, but her schedule would have been different with you gone and that alone could account for some weight loss. I would just be keeping an eye on her.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.