Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Grooming Help with Peruvian hair mats!!

Skullywigs

Cavy Gazer
Hello everyone! I'm new here and need some suggestions on how to get mats and tangles out of my piggys hair and fast! She has a large one right at her shoulder that I can't cut. Normally I would trim them but she goes to fair next week. Please give me some suggestions on how to remove them with out cutting! Her hair gets matted VERY easy no matter how much I brush her. Thanks!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Sorry, but cutting is the only suggestion I've got.

The pig doesn't care how long her hair is, and she'd be happier without the mats and the shows, I'm sure. But if you're determined to show her, daily brushing would be a lot more effective than trying to get mats out without a hair cut.

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
I typically trim long-haired pigs, but I've seen people on this forum recommend Squeaky Clean Critters shampoo- any chance that would work for getting out mats, or at least loosening them up? Or is there any kind of conditioner that is pig-safe? Conditioner is amazing stuff in human hair, I have very tangly hair and it helps get my knots out much more easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skullywigs

Cavy Gazer
Oh! I guess I should have added more info. I usually brush her at least once a day. I should have added that this was AFTER her bath. I think she got them while being wrapped up to dry. I keep her hair trimmed to about 4 inches all around with shorter in the back. I know how to groom and care for her but was looking for advice to get these unexpected mats out.

P.S if you're just going to hate because I choose to show my piggy , you can keep opinions to your self ☺️

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Nobody hates you because you show your pig, but we certainly don't recommend it. Pigs are shy, skittish animals, and they're much less stressed if they're kept at home in normal conditions rather than being taken out to shows. Shows are for humans, not pigs, and it's easy to find an animal that likes attention from strangers, such as a dog, if you want to show one.

Skullywigs

Cavy Gazer
bpatters, I understand that guinea pigs are shy animals that do better in the comforts of home but don't think there's anything wrong with showing them for educational purposes. I didn't come here for someone to try to change my opinion. I only came for help with an unexpected situation. I assumed this forum was for The purpose of helping and did not realize it was against showing . I was just trying to find help without being met with negative opinions .

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.