Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury New Guinea Pig Injured During Introduction Phase

Trisha Nichols

Cavy Slave
Hi!

I am a new guinea pig owner. My first was Abigail and she is pretty amazing. I love her so much and then i started to feel bad that she didn't have a friend in the cage with her. I play with her frequently, but I also have a 40 hr / wk job that keeps me away from the house. So, I went to find her a female friend.

I found one and she is adorable. I don't have a name for her yet, but let's call her Snowflake. After the quarantine phase, I introduced them on neutral territory. There was some dominance behaviours, but they seemed to be working themselves out. I was afraid of putting them together in the same cage though because the person that I bought Snowflake from said that she does well during playtime but doesn't do very well sharing a living space. I have a C&C cage, so I just put a divider in it so they could talk, see, and smell each other without being able to get to each other.

They were like that for 2 days and I wasn't seeing any problems. I took them out to let them see each other on neutral ground and their dominance behaviours got worse again. I realized that keeping them separate was just making them restart their dominance behaviours every time I pulled them out. So, I let them see each other. I cleaned the whole cage and put brand new fleece down. I moved the stuff around so things weren't in the same place. Then, I put them together in the cage. Their was some chasing, teeth gnashing, and mounting but never any blood. I was told to let them go at it as long as they weren't causing major injuries. They finally calmed down and were cuddling and playing follow the leader. They had gone probably 5-6 hours before I decided to go to bed and let them stay together. They have been together 2 days now with seemingly no incident. I don't see any bullying. They each have their own food dishes and they cuddle with each other. But, when I was holding Snowflake yesterday, I noticed that she has a wound on her underside.

It looks like a scratch that is in her "chest" between her center and her front left leg. She seems to be able to move normally and she is not actively bleeding. The wound also wasn't scabbed over yet when I looked at it this morning. I have 2 major questions: 1. Is this a necessary vet visit or am I being overly worried? 2. Should I separate them now even though they have been being good to each other?

finnpigg

Cavy Slave
I'm definitely not an expert on the social behavior of guinea pigs, but unless the wound was recently inflicted (at least 10 hours ago) you shouldn't remove them. The wound was probably inflicted while they were fighting, but now that they seem all buddy-buddy you should keep them together.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd keep them together, and keep an eye on the wound to make sure it doesn't abscess.

How large is the cage? Do all the hideys have two doors? Is there an area in the cage where one pig can trap another?

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
I agree that as long as things are going well now you should keep them together, but definitely keep checking on that wound.

Also, if you don't already, you should get 2 food dishes and 2 water bottles so that they don't fight if they want to eat or drink at the same time. Good luck!

Trisha Nichols

Cavy Slave
I'd keep them together, and keep an eye on the wound to make sure it doesn't abscess.

How large is the cage? Do all the hideys have two doors? Is there an area in the cage where one pig can trap another?

The cage is a 2x4 C&C cage. There is two hidey logs and no location that a pig can trap another pig except the corners. I will definitely watch the wound and make sure that it doesn't get worse. How would I tell if the wound abscesses?

Trisha Nichols

Cavy Slave
I agree that as long as things are going well now you should keep them together, but definitely keep checking on that wound.

Also, if you don't already, you should get 2 food dishes and 2 water bottles so that they don't fight if they want to eat or drink at the same time. Good luck!

I do have 2 food dishes and 2 water sources. I gave them 2 bottles but Snowflake seems to prefer water in a dish so I have 1 bottle and 1 dish of water with them. It is actually pretty adorable because they don’t seem to have problems feeding out of the same dish though. I will definitely continue to give them the opportunity to have their own bowls.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Signs of abscess include swelling, redness, warmth, odor, and discharge.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.