Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello from Hyderabad, India - Raj

rajmahendra

Cavy Gazer
Hello everyone,

I am Raj from Hyderabad, India.

New to Piggies but i have Aquarium and 2 pairs of Cockatiles.

After reading and watching all about Piggies here and on net thought of starting one but unfortunately i can see that i am not getting a good Hay in my city or around my state :(

Some of the pet keepers in my city says no need to worry about hay, you can take some grass in ground near you and feedthem etc. but i am personally feeling if i cant give timathy or orchid hay then its better not to have one as hay is 80% in their diet. So still researching on how can i get a constant from of Hay in my city so i can start having a piggy soon :( (broken link removed) .

Vasundhara

Cavy Slave
Hi Raj. I just adopted two beautiful girls and I know what you mean about the hay. You'll just have to keep a look out for it. I will keep you posted incase I find any available in Bangalore. Till then look for bermuda grass. It's called Durwa in Hindi. You get it infront of temples. I have read that a lot of Indian parents use the same grass for their babies when they are unable to access hay.

lissie

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs can have fresh grass instead of hay. Most people feed hay because it's easier to find than fresh grass. You just have to start slow to not upset their tummy.

If you can find lots of grass, you are fine.

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
^ You also have to make sure the grass is clean (not peed on by any animals or sprayed with pesticides). There are a couple other Indian users on this forum and it seems while getting high-quality hay and pellets is harder there than in the USA, it's definitely possible.

I also have a bird and aquarium, so it seems like we have similar taste in pets :) anyway, welcome to the forum and good luck!

rajmahendra

Cavy Gazer
@Vasundhara @jaycriae @lissie
Thank you for your post.

Are you getting grass 80% of their diet all day? I tried to ask in goshala/cowshed and other place but they say they dont have.
I do see grass around my place but scared of the quality! Also not sure how long i get to feed piggies every day without a break!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The pigs should have grass or hay available ALL the time. Guinea pigs are wired to need food moving through their digestive tracts constantly, else they'll develop painful, maybe fatal, stomach ulcers.

rajmahendra

Cavy Gazer
The pigs should have grass or hay available ALL the time. Guinea pigs are wired to need food moving through their digestive tracts constantly, else they'll develop painful, maybe fatal, stomach ulcers.

Very true, this is why i am not yet getting them. no proper resource yet i can get grass aways :(

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.