Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hi from Bangalore!

Vasundhara

Cavy Slave
Hi guys!

My name is Vasundhara and I am currently based out of Bangalore. I have been researching and reading about guinea pig care for the past month on this forum and Guinea Lynx and I am finally going to go ahead and adopt two female pups on Tuesday. I have been speaking to owners in India on both the forums to understand how they are managing given the resource limitation in the country and I just want to say how grateful I am that these forums are there. I feel like I would have been completely lost if I had not found them! I am really excited about getting my two babies and while I feel that I have read a lot about them, I thought it would be better to reach out to the community at large to also get inputs on the arragements I have made!

1. The pups I will be adopting are about 50 days old. Until I asked the owner, he had not really checked their sex but he says that they are female. I have read about the process of sex determination in guinea pigs so I will confirm it for myself when I go to pick them up. However, my only apprehension is whether they would have become pregnant by now because it was a litter of 8. He says that all the others pups were adopted about a month back so there is no way they would have become pregnant but I have also read on Guinea Lynx that females can become pregnant as early as 3 weeks. What do you think is the likelihood that the sows are already pregnant?

2. I have been searching high and low for a decent cage in India. I intend to give them a lot of floor time but since I am at work for around 12 hours, I wanted to make sure they have a spacious cage as well. The owner of the pups has a wire mesh cage which is 4ft by 4ft. I was thinking of picking that up and then putting one layer of plastic, followed by two layers of towels and then a final fleece layer. Do you think that would be a good option? Also, I have been reading a lot on this forum about the towels smelling bad - what has your experience been? I think puppy pads might not be the most cost-effective option for me.

3. In a lot of pictures, I have also noticed small floor mats in the cages. Are these kept for pee absoprtion? What are they made off?

4. I was speaking to another guinea pig owner and he mentioned that his piggies often 'squirt' the urine so it lands outside the cage? I don't know what his cage setup is but is that something common? Should I be putting up boards on the side of the cage to prevent the urine from squirting outside?

5. I am pretty sorted on the nutrition aspect - the threads and food charts have been very helpful. However, hay is not easily available in the country. Do you think I can substitute hay with grass? Would that be okay?

6. Do you think if I give them enough capsicum, it should be an ample substitute for the pellets?

7. I am also a little confused about the litter tray. I understand that it should be next to the water bottles and hay, and that is where I should do most of the feeding to litter train them. However, I wanted to ask what to put in that try? Will paper shreds be enough?

I really look forward to hearing from you! And apologies in advance if I have posted in the wrong thread or asked too many questions!

Best,

Vasundhara

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.