Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Are all pet stores ignorant or is it just me?

Fluffball

Cavy Slave
Im beginning to think that ALL pet stores in my area need a serious re-education class on what age guinea pigs become sexually mature at.

Today while I was buying some infant medicine for my sick piggie, I always take a look at the guinea pigs in the pet store. They had three abbys, housed with rabbits, mixed pellets, and straw as a food source. Already see problems.

Whilst my boyfriend was paying for a temperature gauge for our fish tank I asked the assistant ''what age are guinea pigs able to breed at?''

They said 8 weeks. I was shocked. I told her over and over it was three weeks. Apparently in her mind set ''babies'' cant mate. She also thinks that 3 weeks is too young to be weaned off the mother?!? thus they cant possibly mate.

Trying to re-educate a person who obviously doesnt seem to want to listen to what I had to say seems hard enough, but knowing your right and they are wrong is just frustrating. Im thinking of talking to the RSPCA so they can talk to pet stores and educate them on the animals they keep.

You would think with all the technology now days, they would be able to keep up to date?

Out of date logic, out of date information. Its time these people knew their information, and I intend to educate them myself even if I have to argue with every pet store owner I come across.

I have found with people like that that the best way to educate them is to bring it to them in writing - from a book or an association web site.

And unfortunately, they might not care if she gets pregnant-just more babies to sell later.

Sarah

I went into a pet store today to buy pellets. I would have bought them from a feed store, but I couldn't get to the store as it was 20 miles away and I hadn't enough time to get there and back. And the pigs had the last of their pellets this morning.

Anway, I'd been in this pet shop before - it was awful. They hadn't any piggies in at the time, but the other animals were in such poor states. Today, when I went in they had 2 hutches with piggies in. Naturally I had to have a peek.

In one hutch there were 3 pigs - all cream and white, 2 young smooth hairs and one older Rex. The Rex was huddled in a corner and wasn't moving much. No doubt ill - I'd recognise an ill pig anywhere now. The other two were pottering about. In the middle, there was a giant bowl of g-pig mix - overflowing with the junk. They were bedded on some kind of wood chips - not sawdust, not cedar; I'm not sure what it was. Maybe aspen, I can't really remember. No hay, of course. Just 2 tiny strands under all the bedding.

In the next hutch, one young black and white crested piggy was curled up. I'm pretty sure it was squealing too - little tiny squealy noises came from that area, so I can only think that it was this little piggy. Very young still - maybe 2 months old? The conditions were exactly the same, except I don't remember seeing a food bowl int he hutch. None of the pigs had water.

I was so close to buying all the piggies, but I knew that if I did, they would just end up being replaced again. So I had to leave them there. I feel awful about it but I know it won't stop the problem. I would be overrun with thousands of piggles if I did such a thing every time I saw any being mistreated.

While I was waiting for them to fetch the pellets, one of the store workers asked how many piggies I had. I told him 4, and he asked if they were all females. I said no; 1 male and 3 female. He says, "You breed them then?". I say I don't believe in breeding animals. He says nothing. It's not really surprising that people would jump to the conclusion that, just because you have males and female, you breed them. But still, it was annoying.

I just bought the stuff I desperately needed and left. Now I think about it, I really have to do something about this pet shop. I'm planning on sending them a set of my leaflets, some posters with basic information on the proper care of guineas and links to GL, Cavy Cages and a few other recommended sites. I just hope they take some notice.

I think the main way pet stores are going to take any notice is if selling animals negatively affects their income. I think the best approach is to not shop at stores that sell pets, and let the owners of the stores (not just the staff or the managers) know by posted letter exactly why they will no longer be getting your business.

If enough people stopped shopping at these places and the owners knew why they were losing so much business, it might start to sink in. They really don't give two cents about the welfare of the animals, so preaching to them about proper care is wasted breath in my opinion.

I have 2 good stores here in my area. One wasnt good at all, keeping them on cedar bedding feeding them junk, too many per cage and often with rabbits. Also did not seperate the male/females. I talked to the manager a few times (in a very nice tone) and offered to come and show them how to care for them and how to set up the cages which works best for the store and the animals. After a few times he agreed. I still dont approve of the size of the cages, he says he cant do anything about that, its corporate. But atleast they are housed on safe bedding, get hay and are sep by sex. I was very impressed they made an attempt to better what they had. There is another store I am triyng to put some sense in so hopefully I can say I have 3 stores here. Its a work in progress but keep your fingers crossed.

Thats why I try not to go into a store that has them I can't stand to see them. I feel so bad. I use to go into Meijers all the time and would check on the piggers and they always had their water bottle almost all the way to the floor and the pigs couldn't get water. I found this twice in three days. Then 1 looked sick and wasn't moving around like the others,It broke my heart and when I checked 3 in another "aquarium" they were little and 1 was a boy!! I showed the lady and she acted surprised and I told her that she better tell someone fast and they might be already pregnant. Needless to say I have not went back and I DO NOT shop at Meijer stores anymore. Thats been 2 months or so ago.

Now that I have found a good source of bulk hay (little 26oz bags don't last long here with 5 pigs) I can get what I need from shops that don't sell animals.

I shop at Pet Valu for bedding and toys, Global pets for cat food, grooming supplies, Oxbow stuff (only at one location) and toys and a small fish and reptile store for my fish stuff.

The only animals the fish store sells are fish, crickets and meal worms. It's a very small store but they sell all the food and aqaurium supplies I need. I also got my fish there. It's nice since it's down the street they know what the water I have at home is like. They told me exactly how to treat it.

Just keep looking. If you look hard enough you can find a way to get what you need without going to a store that sells animals. Item by item I slowly weaned my self off of Petsmart. And if I really want a hard to find toy I can look at it and see if I like it at PetSmart, go home and order it from the ferret or critter store.

Ive printed some information for some of the pet stores in my area, maybe they will listen, who knows.

I wish there was a pet supply store where I am, it seems everytime I try a new pet store I am met with the same conditions. The same problems with the animals. Only one pet store around here sells timothy hay, no supply stores have it. So I have no choice but to go in. Sometimes I keep my mouth shut, but usually I cant help but mention one thing, which soon turns into a lecture on how to keep guinea pigs.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.