Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Skin Problems Hair Loss on Nose

GameOfCavies

Cavy Slave
I'm going to get a picture on here as soon as possible, but my phone isn't wanting to send pictures through email right now so I'll just get the initial question on here then I'll get the image later.

Olena, who is my white abby guinea pig, has some hair loss on her muzzle between her eyes. I didn't notice it before, because she is very skittish. She hides as soon as anyone goes near the cage. Anyway, she's been more active than usual and has decided standing on the top of her igloo hide is better than going inside, which is how I noticed. She doesn't seem to scratch it at all, she's eating just as she always does, just yesterday she was playing chase the willow ball with Tirion, so she's acting completely happy and healthy. Happier than usual in fact. She's just got this hair loss. I checked Tirion, her cagemate, all over and he has no hair loss at all. Any ideas? The hair isn't gone completely, just a lot sparser. And it's only in that one spot, everywhere is is her usual fluffy self.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Probably a fungus -- that's a prime place for it.

Get some Nystatin or Lotrimin and apply sparingly twice a day with a q-tip, being careful not to get it in her eyes. It should begin to clear up in a few days, but keep applying even after the hair starts growing back, because fungus can be hard to completely eradicate.

If it's not a fungus, it's a bacterial infection. But we start with fungus medication first because an antibiotic can make a fungal infection worse, but an antifungal medicine won't make a bacterial infection first. However, with that location, I'm betting on fungus.

Also see https://www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html.

GameOfCavies

Cavy Slave
Got it! Should I separate her from Tirion? And would the brand from Walmart be fine or should I order a pet brand?

GameOfCavies

Cavy Slave
Also, anything I should be aware of in the future to prevent this? I keep their cage clean. But it has been very warm here lately with rain, and it said on the link humidity can be a factor.

pigtales

Cavy Slave
Got it! Should I separate her from Tirion? And would the brand from Walmart be fine or should I order a pet brand?
There are different thoughts about separating when it comes to fungus. I, personally, do not. It can take a long time to treat and then you have to deal with reintroductions, but it's up to you.

The stuff at Walmart is fine, you could also use Monistat (or the store brand equivalent). I've had success with both that and Lotrimin (not together, separate cases).

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I've had less success with Monistat than the other two, which is why I recommended them.

Any brand is fine.

I don't separate for fungus. By the time you notice it all the others have been thoroughly exposed anyway.

GameOfCavies

Cavy Slave
I'm starting to get worried. The hair loss on her face is the same, but I noticed it's on her side as well. I put some medicine on that, and over the last few days the patch on her side seems to be getting worse, although the one on her face is about the same. I'm starting to think it may be bacterial, as even though I've just used those medicines for a couple days it's been getting bad fast.
At first it was just thinning on her side. Then I used the medicine and it became that. That red spot is the only spot I've noticed on her that looks off.

Hair Loss on NoseHair Loss on Nose

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Is she scratching a lot?

GameOfCavies

Cavy Slave
She doesn't scratch at all.

GameOfCavies

Cavy Slave
Her cage is where it can easily be seen by me. But she doesn't scratch, she eats fine, etc. It's just the hair loss.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You could give her baths with an antifungal shampoo and see if that helps -- there are some listing in that link I gave you.

But that's really significant hair loss on her side, and very quickly, too. You only mentioned hair loss on the muzzle when you posted earlier this week. I think I'd take her to the vet if she were mine.

GameOfCavies

Cavy Slave
I can try the vet, but the problem is I don't have a lot of money for a lot of tests. I just had to buy books for college recently. I'll keep trying the anti-fungal for now. The main thing I'm scared about is it being mites, since I do have other animals, but as I said she's shown no signs of scratching or anything. I'm wondering if her hair was thinning on her side but I missed it somehow?

I'm kind of stuck with the cheaper remedies until I get more money in x_x and I hate it.

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
It's probably not mites if it happened that quickly, especially since it showed up on the nose. I hope the antifungal works or at least slows its progress until you have the money for more vet care. Good luck!

GameOfCavies

Cavy Slave
Could the cream have caused it the quicker hair loss? Maybe she had a reaction to it? Like I said, she was nowhere near that bad a few days ago. The cream is the only factor that's changed, except it hasn't changed the hair loss on her face at all.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The cream wouldn't have caused the loss on her sides.

GameOfCavies

Cavy Slave
I did use the medicine on her side when I first noticed the thinning though. It was after that that it got worse. I'm going to call the vet tomorrow and see what I can set up appointment wise. Let them at least look at her and see what the price of doing more would be.

lisa325

Cavy Slave
Did you manage to get an appointment with the vet ? It would be interesting to know their findings.

GameOfCavies

Cavy Slave
I got in today! My vet scheduled me in as soon as I called. The vet said there were no bugs, but she did find some bacteria that she thinks could be the cause of it, and the extra hair happening so fast could be that she has an allergy to lotramin. I got some wipes from her that kill fungus and bacteria, and she'll be on that for the next month. Vet said it might take a couple weeks to see progress. I'm just glad it's something treatable.

lisa325

Cavy Slave
Glad you were able to get in. I'm surprised the vet didn't give you something stronger than a wipe for a bacterial infection. I hope it clears up fast.
Hugs and best wishes for little Olena <3

GameOfCavies

Cavy Slave
it's something called 'ketohex.'
I'm really hoping that clears it up. she complained a bit while it was going on, but she'll survive lol

I'm just glad it's nothing super contagious that'll pass to my other pets.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.