Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hi! My name is Katie :D

GeekyLife

Cavy Slave
Hey guys, I am new here and would like to introduce my guinea pigs, Meeka and Miya. I just recently got them and have yet to take pictures of both of them because I want them to get use to their cage first. Eventually there will be lots of pictures of them :3
I am a little worried about Miya. I just notice a bald patch on her nose and I am not sure if it was from a fight or could be ringworm, fungal, or maybe even mites. I want to make sure that I give them the best care and hoping I am not just over thinking it, but here is the only picture I have of her, If you guys have any advice that will be very much appreciative.
IMG_0917.jpg

GeekyLife

Cavy Slave
Im not sure if I can edit the post but I meant to say that I am hoping I am just overthinking it. I do not want anything to be wrong with her!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
A bald spot on the nose is usually fungus, and is easily treated. See https://www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html. Get one of the creams mentioned (I prefer Lotrimin or Nystatin to Monistat), and apply sparingly with a q-tip. Wash your hands well afterward, since most fungi can travel from species to species, but not too easily. Keep applying even after the hair starts to grow back, as fungus can be stubborn to get rid of.

If you got them a pet store, take them out, turn them over, and compare their private parts to make sure you have two females. Pet stores are notorious for selling sick, missexed pigs with parasites, and with the baby sows pregnant.

If you're a new guinea pig owner, here's some reading material:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/113176-Information-for-new-guinea-pig-owners
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/107827-What-NOT-to-do-for-your-guinea-pigs!

GeekyLife

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much! That is wonderful information!!! Yes, I am a new guinea pig and already checked myself to make sure they are females (do not want to wake up to a surprise one day) but I will always need more information even if I did months in advance of research about them. Once again thank you :D

GeekyLife

Cavy Slave
Also one more question. I got both the girls together and was wondering if it is to late to quarantine them? Meeka isn't showing any hair loss, patches, or itching. So what would be the best for this situation?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If they've been together, there's no point in quarantine -- each has already been thoroughly exposed to the other one.

Quarantine is recommended when you're bringing a new pig into your home and you've already got pigs. That keeps the new one from sharing diseases/pests with the ones you've got. But even then, if you get a pig from a reliable source and you trust that it isn't ill or infested, you can skip quarantine. It's also often skipped for baby pigs that have just been separated from their moms -- they wheek really pitifully, and not many people are hard hearted enough to make them stay by themselves if there's another pig around to put them with.

I usually only separate pigs if one has a serious illness that's really contagious, which means I almost never separate them. I figure by the time I know something is wrong with one of them, the others have already been exposed.

GeekyLife

Cavy Slave
Alright thank you :)

GeekyLife

Cavy Slave
Just wanted to give a update on Mia's nose. It is officially all gone and she is a very happy guinea pig. Thank you again for helping us out :D

Attachments

Screen Shot 2016-09-19 at 11.38.05 PM.png

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
Oh my gosh that face. What a cutie!

GeekyLife

Cavy Slave
Awww thanks! :)

lisa325

Cavy Slave
Hehe!! What a cutie she is, glad she's all better

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.