Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Opinion on this Ikea modification model?

Sandro

Cavy Gazer
Hi Everyone,

I have been reading a lot of threads on this forum in the past two days as me and my partner will be getting two guinea pigs soon and I am starting to plan a nice home for them :)

I have an Ikea piece of furniture which I wanted to adapt for them as it is a good size and it sits nicely in the living room, my only concern is about sizes, so I am here for an opinion, I know that larger is better however I would like to have a specific opinion on the feasibility of my project :)

This is what it would look like:
(broken link removed)

These are the actual size:

(broken link removed)

The ramp gradient would be 42' and it would have a guardrail on a side for extra safety.

It does not look bad to me however not sure whether the space would be enough, an alternative is for me to create a "patio" on the front of the "ground floor" doubling the size with an outside space close with a fence (which looks quite cosy too).

Opinion?

Edit: I know the ramp access is quite small so I will have to make a larger cut on the first floor.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You're planning on leaving it upright? Not NEARLY enough room for one guinea pig, never mind pigs. They need large flat areas to run around, and quite a bit of square footage. Click on the Main tab at the top of this page for cage size recommendations.

If you're turning it flat, then it might do.

Sandro

Cavy Gazer
You're planning on leaving it upright? Not NEARLY enough room for one guinea pig, never mind pigs. They need large flat areas to run around, and quite a bit of square footage. Click on the Main tab at the top of this page for cage size recommendations.

If you're turning it flat, then it might do.

Thank you bpatters, yes I started to work on this project then realised it is not too much considering other things to be added. I see if I can find another bigger cabinet to readapt or I may just look at C&C cage which came to my attention on this forum :)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Look in the photo galleries at the alternative cages. There are a ton of things you can make cages out of, including bookcases. You just need to lay them flat rather than standing them up.

Sandro

Cavy Gazer
Look in the photo galleries at the alternative cages. There are a ton of things you can make cages out of, including bookcases. You just need to lay them flat rather than standing them up.

Yep I have been looking on Pinterest for quite a few hours :)

I am now looking at at least 100cm x 60cm if "cage" or maybe a bit larger if a C&C which I like for the natural feeling to it, I just need to be mindful that renting my flat I am limited on what I can and cannot do :)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
100 x 60 isn't large enough for one pig, much less two. And if you're getting boars, you need much more room than to you do for sows.

Do you prefer measuring in metric or English units?

Sandro

Cavy Gazer
100 x 60 isn't large enough for one pig, much less two. And if you're getting boars, you need much more room than to you do for sows.

Do you prefer measuring in metric or English units?

Metric :)

Well I would not be able to house something larger than (broken link removed) considering that I would probably keep them able to run around the living room eventually.

I also saw two floors 100 x 60 but they are "too cagey"...

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You run the risk of major aggression if the cage is too small, particularly if you get boars. You're looked at nibbled ears and slashed faces.

A Midwest is barely large enough for one pig. Two docile sows might live in one, but there's no guarantee. Plus, if you can find the materials, C&C cages are much easier to remodel/expand when necessary.

Sandro

Cavy Gazer
You run the risk of major aggression if the cage is too small, particularly if you get boars. You're looked at nibbled ears and slashed faces.

A Midwest is barely large enough for one pig. Two docile sows might live in one, but there's no guarantee. Plus, if you can find the materials, C&C cages are much easier to remodel/expand when necessary.

Saw as guideline 75cm x 140cm for two guinea pigs should be the ideal... I should be able to get close to those numbers.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.