Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Charlie and Delta!

ShosMoon

Cavy Slave
Hello, I'm new here but am not new to guineas. I've been lurking these forums and others similar for many years but am finally deciding to join in on the fun!

I've been caring for guinea pigs for about ten years, give or take a few. I've never had the room for a c&c cage (I always used the typical pet store ones, but they bordered on rabbit sized ones.) or two guinea pigs in the same cage, for that matter. As I've recently rescued two males who I named Charlie and Delta, I've kept them in their kaytee home they came to me in while researching. Tonight, my fiance and I are making the switch to a c&c 2x4 home to see how it goes. We will also be making the switch to fleece bedding. Any tips on prepping the fleece?

I've uploaded pictures to my profile of both boys, hopefully they are labeled like I tried to do.

pigger123

Cavy Slave
Hello and welcome! Charlie and Delta are adorable. I'm sure they'll love having some extra space in their new cage. I would actually do a 2x5 if you can, since males tend to be a little more territorial. A 2x4 should be okay, but bigger is always better. Fleece generally needs to be washed at least 3 times to remove the water resistant coating and get it to wick liquids through. What absorbent material are you planning on using?

Marybonus

Cavy Slave
Hello and welcome! I adore Charlie and Delta!! Super cute!!

lisa325

Cavy Slave
Hello and Welcome! Your boys are adorable :love: I would definitely go with at least a 2X5 cage for two boars.

ShosMoon

Cavy Slave
Hello and welcome! Charlie and Delta are adorable. I'm sure they'll love having some extra space in their new cage. I would actually do a 2x5 if you can, since males tend to be a little more territorial. A 2x4 should be okay, but bigger is always better. Fleece generally needs to be washed at least 3 times to remove the water resistant coating and get it to wick liquids through. What absorbent material are you planning on using?

I've actually only got enough room for a 2x4 until I get married. My fiance and I live in the same house for personal reasons but we live in different rooms. I actually have a rather small bedroom lol. I'm using towels as an absorbent material, I actually have to get more later this week since I only bought enough for one round of changes. How often do most people wash the fleece and towels?

pigger123

Cavy Slave
A 2x4 will probably be perfectly fine for now, and certainly better than a pet store cage. :) Most people clean the cage once a week, but it might have to be more depending on what you use and how big the cage is. I've found that having a kitchen/hay area with disposable bedding has drastically reduced the smell and how often I have to change the fleece. It also keeps the hay off the fleece, and my piggies do almost all of their business in the hay area so the fleece stays much cleaner.

I wouldn't really recommend towels, I know some people do use them but they're more bulky and seem to retain moisture and smell more. Uhaul moving pads are a very popular option. They're made of recycled denim and can be cut to fit in your cage or sewn between the fleece to have an easy one piece cage liner.

rotto77

Cavy Slave
hello and welcome

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.