Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hi!

Dancekavy05

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone!! I'm new here, and hopefully I will have two piggies by the time school starts, my mom says she's still contemplating. But she's really considering it, so I'm hopeful. I have some questions, since I plan on showing them at our county fair, so I will post a little later. Talk again soon!!!

Showing guinea pigs is not something this site supports. It's dangers, stressful and potentially dangerous to piggies for many reasons that I'm sure @bpatters can explain better then I can. I would try but I'm sick so....not a good idea. XD I do also hope you are planning on them both being male or both female as breeding is extremely dangerous for piggies.

My very first piggy was actually adopted from someone who would have used her for 4h. Thank god she ended up being allergic because poor little Bliss would have had a heart attack the second they took her to a show.

You've come to the right place to learn about piggy care though! Lots of great resources and helpful people. :) So, Welcome!

Also, please don't buy your pigs from a pet store. Those pigs are bred and raised in horrible conditions, the baby sows are often pregnant, they're often missexed, and they frequently have respiratory infections and parasites. Also, pigs are prone to genetic illnesses which are painful and/or fatal. Please do your research before getting a guinea pig.

Here's a link for some good information: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/113176-Information-for-new-guinea-pig-owners

Hi, just being curious, what do you mean be dangerous? This might sound like a rude question, but I'm just curious. The stress, yeah, I get it. Thanks!!

I wasn't going to, I'm going to try and get them through my 4-H, they can pull some strings and get the breed I want for pretty cheap. And don't worry, Ive been researching everything guinea pig for a year at the end of August, but thanks! Also, Colorado Cavies mentioned you knowing about showing guinea pigs. Curious about that?!?!

I think most of us are against showing guinea pigs because they're so easily scared and startled, and it's just too stressful for them. They're not like kittens and puppies and other small animals, that enjoy lots of attention and petting from all sorts of people. It takes them time to trust even the people who care for them everyday, and moving them to sites with noises and lights and lots of people and animals is just not something they enjoy.

I know 4-H promotes breeding animals, and I can see that for farm animals. But pregnancy and labor are very hard on sows and pups, and there are lots of genetic diseases. From what I know about it, which admittedly isn't much, 4-H doesn't put nearly enough emphasis on those issues when it comes to breeding guinea pigs. I think 4-H encourages it because they can be bred in urban situations, and don't require farms like cows/pigs/horses/etc do, but I think it's misguided. There's no way I'd put my pigs through that.

Okay, thanks, just wondering, my aunt suggested maybe take them to busy family holidays from the time they are babies. Would this help at all. ( Don't worry I'm reconsidering fair, just curious!!)

No, it won't help. They're prey animals -- everything tries to eat them, and they only eat green stuff. They're wired to hide, to startle when scared, and except and until they really trust their handlers, they're continually alert and on guard. They'll never be relaxed in a show situation, and it'll be a very nerve-wracking experience for them.

Okay, thanks a ton for this info!!!

Also wondering, should I use normal bedding or fleece? Looked into both and can't decide. Which one works best in your opinion?

My parents said I could get piggies, yay!!!!!

Just wanted to chime in.my daughter when she was in 4-h had piggies and showed them that's how I got to know n fall in love with them.this being said it was all new to me and I didn't have a lot of knowledge.I wish I would of known about this site.some of the biggest things I can tell you is usually the heat from the summer is way to much for them.their in barns with fans trying to keep things ariated but it can be to much.also the stress level for them will be extremely high.some are used to a lot of attention but others aren't.you also have so many different people walking around you don't know what might drop in their cage n they could eat it causing harm.lastly the space .the majority I've ever seen were in the store bought cages way to small to be all day in the heat for piggies.it would be nice is the small animal groups would educate people on piggies propped care etc.at these fairs but sadly most don't really know a lot about piggies.

Bring them home and love them to pieces :love:, but please don't put them in a show situation, it's way too stressful for them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.