Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello! about my girls!

LittlePigs2

Cavy Gazer
Hello everyone.
I have two pigs. Jessie and Melly. Ive had them both for just under a year now. I got them from a lady who had them a shoe box at a yard sale... they came with a cage.. lets just say it might as well have been a shoe box! She said her children wanted them, but started to neglect them and she didn't want to deal with them anymore. No food was given to me when I purchased them from her. no hay... nothing! These pigs had a water dish.. in terrible condition, with disgusting water. The lady informed me that she ahd told her kids she wasn't taking of them if they didn't. Guess washing the bowl was too much effort... OYE!

Anyway, I have loads more to say, but I don't want to rant and make this a huge post!

I have built them a DIY cage, but am unhappy with it, so I will be expanding and changing materials. They are currently in an 8 square foot cage. (much bigger than the shoe box they were in...)

But that will be upgraded to a 14 square foot cage! I can't wait! Plans all drawn out and supplies ordered! (except the coroplast. How the heck do I get an 8' x 4' sheet of coro home?! Jeez!)

I'm not sure I can post a question here, if not I apologize.
I was wondering if anyone had any tips or advice on preventing fleece burrowing? I have hideys, and an extra blanket on top for them to burrow in... but they keep going under fleece liner and onto the wooden floor.... which means they sit in puddles of urine because there is nothing to absorb it. :( Any tips?

Other than that, MY ladies are great. :) They still don't seem to be very fond of me. haha. but we are working on that. I spot clean every morning and every evening. (soon to be once a day. Fingers crossed I get this new job!) We do a full cage clean twice a week! Wednesdays and Saturdays. :)

As I am typing this, they seem to be playing peek-a-boo. Jessie is under the fleece (again) and she pops her head out, wheeks, looks around and then hides. Then does this again but at another area of her cage. Silly piggy.

Thanks for reading, and I am happy to be part of this community. :)

I wanted to add, when I asked their previous owners for their names, I was told they didn't have any, but were often reffered to as Smelly and Icky... lovely....

scoottie

Cavy Slave
How about some picture of your piggies. I love pictures.

peachyteen

Cavy Slave
To answer your question about fleece burrowing, all you can really do, is try to put something heavy in the corners.

Also, what absorbant layer do you use? fleece isn't absorbant and needs something underneath. that should prevent puddles.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You can also make the fleece long enough and wide enough to clip it over the coroplast sides. That will keep all but the most determined burrower from getting under.

Also, ditto @peachyteen on the need to an absorbent layer under the fleece. That way, the fleece just wicks the urine through to the absorbent layer and the pigs' feet stay dry.

LittlePigs2

Cavy Gazer
You can also make the fleece long enough and wide enough to clip it over the coroplast sides. That will keep all but the most determined burrower from getting under.

Also, ditto @peachyteen on the need to an absorbent layer under the fleece. That way, the fleece just wicks the urine through to the absorbent layer and the pigs' feet stay dry.

Thanks for the replies! I have uhaul in my fleece! :) but when they go under the fleece liner, there is nothing to absorb the pee that happens. Im not sure how else to explain it.
I was thinking of sewing velcro to the liner, and sticking the other part of the velcro to the base. Would that work?

Kenna18155

Cavy Slave
About the burrowing: I'd highly recommend trying to just tuck or clip it first to make sure the situation will work with your pigs, before sewing or doing anything permanent. That may fix your problems, but sometimes burrowers just don't give up. My Hershey is a huge burrower -- I used lots of large binder clips to clip the fleece to the coro in the beginning, but she eventually just PULLED THEM OFF with her teeth. After lots of fighting with her, I had to get a huge piece of fleece, large enough to go over the entire sides of the cage. Even now, she sometimes manages to squeeze under using the tiny gap I leave for their water bottle. It's basically an arms race with her.

So yeah -- try something temporarily before committing, just in case it doesn't work. It may save you a lot of hassle.

Cleophauna

Cavy Slave
Not sure where you're getting the coroplast from, I got mine from Home Depot and we rolled it small enough to fit in my car. You can roll it up fairly easy and they strapped it for me so it wouldn't pop open.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.