Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Feet Bumblefoot or just spurs?

mimipig

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone, today I was attempting to clip my pig Mimi's nails, she's very squirmy so I don't often get a good look at her feet but today I noticed the bottom of her front left paw (the rest look all pink but perhaps a little dry or flaky) has something going on. I read about spurs, so I'm thinking that's what the extra skin there is but there is also a dark part that would not come off when I wiped at it with a warm rag and gently picked at it. You can just see what I mean by the darker area where I drew an arrow pointing to. She didn't seem to be in pain, she actually stayed still while I wiped it etc. and didn't whine. The dry/flaky skin I mentioned that is similar her other paws is just like you can see in these photos, on the bottoms of her feet and heels just seems a bit crackled. Is this looking like it could be infected or starting bumblefoot, and should I have her checked at the vets? The last time I visited they told me she was a bit overweight, but since getting her a friend she has been more active and seems in good health. Here are the pictures I got and a bonus one of her being cute in her new bed. Thanks!
Bumblefoot or just spurs?Bumblefoot or just spurs?Bumblefoot or just spurs?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Spurs, or accumulated junk. Get some cold pressed virgin coconut oil and rub her feet with it daily. It may soften the spurs a bit, and should keep the feet from cracking.

mimipig

Cavy Slave
Thank you patters! Do I need to rinse her feet off afterwards or is it safe to leave it on if she licks it?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It won't hurt her.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.