Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Slight Breathing Irregularities

AlexPalmer

Cavy Gazer
I just got a pair of female guinea pigs about 3 years old from a family friend who kept them in C&C cages or an outdoor pen when the weather was nice. I noticed that one of them looks like she's breathing hard, but I can't hear her breathing, no wheezing, just some grunting sounds when she's eating in particular. She eats quite literally like a pig, drinks a lot, runs around a lot, poops regularly, and has no other apparent health issues (clear eyes, no nasal fluids, etc.). If you watch the video, you can see her sides down by her hips moving in a way that I assume isn't normal. I haven't had time to take her in for a vet because of the holidays, but do people have any idea what could be up with her? When she sits still, it looks like she's rocking back and forth very slightly. [video=youtube;6-XwUuksfNg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-XwUuksfNg&feature=youtu.be[/video]

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Does she do it only when she's eating?

AlexPalmer

Cavy Gazer
No, it also happens when she's just sitting there resting. The rocking doesn't always happen, particularly when she's being handled, but that breathing pattern is somewhat regular.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If she were mine, I'd want her checked out by a vet. I don't think it's an emergency, so you may be able to wait until Monday. But if you do, keep a close eye on her and get her to a good vet if it gets worse.

AlexPalmer

Cavy Gazer
Okay, I'm going to try and set up an appointment the day after tomorrow. She also started making these sounds when she's sleeping - once she gets up, she doesn't make these sounds, regardless of whether she's eating, drinking, running, etc. (Crank your sound for the video, sorry for the fish tank noise) [video=youtube;mx5TUxpkI5g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mx5TUxpkI5g&feature=youtu.be[/video]

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Be sure they take a chest x-ray. If you wind up seeing an emergency vet, Baytril or doxycycline are both used for URIs. Also be sure they give you a probiotic. The Bene-Bac gel is easy to give. Make them give you enough to give it twice a day -- an hour or so after each antibiotic dose.

AlexPalmer

Cavy Gazer
This is kind of related to the original medical issue - so the vet did x-rays and found a lot of cloudiness in the lungs, but she wasn't sure whether it was a mass or fluid, so she put the pig on Baytril (in case it's pneumonia), and Laxin + Lotension (in case it's heart issues) for a few weeks. My pig doesn't really like taking meds, so some of it has gotten on the fur around the neck, causing the hair to kind of clump up - is there a way to clean this by just wiping it down or do I have to give the pig a full bath?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Just wipe it down.

To give the medicine, wrap the pig in a towel like a burrito. Put your non-dominant arm on a table and put the pig in the crook of your arm. Hold the pig's head firmly with your non-dominant hand. Cover its eyes if you can.

With your other hand, insert the syringe into the pig's mouth perpendicular to its jaw. Insert it about half an inch. Then turn the syringe toward the pig's throat, and give the medicine. I know it's hard to do, and Baytril tastes terrible, which makes it even harder. You could wish for Metacam -- most pigs seem really like that. And I currently have a pig on Vibramycin, and she thinks it's pretty yummy.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.