Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Baby Teething Rings

LuvMyPiggers

Cavy Gazer
I picked up a pack of baby teething rings at K-Mart the other day, because I figured, if they're tough enough for babys, they're tough enough for pigs! The pigs LOVE them. Even Piglet who's by himself (Fighting) doesn't seem so lonely because he has them. They cost me about 5 dollars for a pack of 50.:)

futureguineamom

Cavy Slave
Are you talking about the ones that go in the freezer? (Kind of rubbery with liquid inside). I don't know of any other kind. I was thinking that many baby toys should be safe though, such as hanging rattles from the top of the cage or something.

LuvMyPiggers

Cavy Gazer
Nope. They are mainly plastic. They just come in little animals too. The baby freezing kind might not be as safe, but it's just plastic.

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
I know what you mean, LuvMyPiggers! That's a good idea. I bought a few soft hanging baby toys for my pigs today as they were fighting over who got to sleep next to the first one!

LuvMyPiggers

Cavy Gazer
hehe... pigs will be pigs :p

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
I don't know ... part of the reason that those things are safe for babies is because a teething baby either doesn't have teeth actually protruding yet or doesn't have very sharp teeth. Guinea pigs, on the other hand, have quite sharp teeth, and might be able to shave off bits of the plastic, and then end up swallowing them. Plus, after being chewed on, the toys might have sharps edges where teeth worn away the smoothness.

If it were me, I would just keep a very close eye on the toys to ensure that the pigs aren't consuming bits of plastic and that the toys aren't developing sharp parts.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.