Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Worried

ltsweety2

Cavy Slave
I have two four year old guinean pigs... And the i caught the dominate one (trying mate) with his brother. so i separated them. Is this normal?
So now the one that was attack is acting real calm which he usually not... so im worried

lissie

Cavy Slave
Mounting is normal dominance behavior. You should not separate them unless they fight (blood shed).

ltsweety2

Cavy Slave
Well my kids dont understand n neither do i... and im pose to wit til i see blood?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
They're perfectly normal. And you only need to separate if they turn into fighting, whirling balls of fur. Otherwise, just let them work it out.

kemmm

Cavy Slave
@bpatters My two boars tend to bicker at each other kind of often. When you say whirling balls of fir, what is the duration? They chatter their teeth, never get up on their hind legs, but still pounce at each other and will be in the throws of a dominance battle for like 2 seconds before they separate again. No blood has ever been drawn and that's the only reason I don't ever intervene. Although I have seen a few tufts of hair around their cage.

poop_patrol

Cavy Slave
If one pig has injured the other, then separate. A bleeding wound, a torn ear, that sort of thing. Even then, the separation need not be permanent. You can retry co-habitation after another round of proper introductions.

Harassment, or what we humans think is harassment but is really normal dominance behavior for the pigs, is not a reason to separate.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
@ltsweety2 it is one pig telling the other he is the boss pig, it has nothing to do with sex. Yes, keep them together unless there is blood or torn ears.

ltsweety2

Cavy Slave
Does the not dominate on act sad afterwords?

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Not usually, they are herd animals so want to have an order of who is in charge and who is lower.

ltsweety2

Cavy Slave
Well the less dominate is acting sad and not eating and making a lot of wining noises and it just happening.. He has nva been this slow and lazy. Well ima said eating when u hand it to him

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.