Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Penelope!

amp2375

Cavy Slave
Meet my baby! She's had one hell of a baby life, already had a cold& a cyst. But have gotten her back from the pet store/vet for the second time & hopefully the last! Can't wait to finally start bonding with her. Let's pray for a happy & healthy rest of her life. ❤

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
Very cute.

Just seeing the cage in the background though, it is much too small. Please see the main page and different tabs to see about building your own appropriately sized cage. A single pig needs at least 8 square feet of cage space and you unfortunately won't be able to find a pet store cage that meets those requirements.

Also, guinea pigs are social herd animals that require a companion. It has to be awful frightening being a tiny lone baby, they flourish and will have a MUCH happier life with a cage mate.

Check out:

https://www.cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm
https://www.guinealynx.info/companionship.html

amp2375

Cavy Slave
Unfortunately I live in an apartment & don't have room for a big cage. She is let out every day for a good 2-3 hours to run around. We hope to move to a house soon where I will be getting her a large cage! ☺

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
I highly suggest rearranging some furniture to fit in an appropriate cage. Proper housing is essential for a guinea pig to thrive. Many members have limited space but it's up to us as owners to make sure our animals have proper living spaces. You should have made sure you could meet her living requirements before you purchased her.

I'm not trying to be mean, just stating facts. It's similar to you living exclusively in your closet. Eating, sleeping, exercising and going to the bathroom all in one tiny space.

It's nice that you give her floor time but she really needs to have space to exercise when she wants, not only when you can let her out.

Hopefully you can figure something out.

CavyChrissy

Cavy Slave
Congratulations! She is so sweet looking!

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Lots of apartment dwellers have appropriate sized cages. In fact, I know of a woman who just moved into a tiny house, and she still has her guinea pigs in a 2x4 C&C Cage! You just need to get creative and move stuff around. Take a look at all the different cages in the photo gallery. Surely there's something that you can make work.

Also, guinea pigs need companionship of their own species. It's part of their nature. Bonding with you isn't what she needs. Part of having a pet is making their lives as best as you can, and getting her a bigger cage and a companion is part of that. In one country at least, having only one guinea pig is against the law.

Comely Guineas

Cavy Slave
I agree with the other commentators, even if you might think they are being over dramatic. A guinea pig can live a long time (5-8 years), so it's best to research a lot and do your absolute best to care for them not only for them, but also for yourself knowing you're doing your best. A C&C cage is such a great thing to do for your pigs. They are so cost effective and provide so much space a pig desperately needs. Have a look on this website to see how to make them. I highly recommend using fleece with towels as bedding. Read up on these things and life will be so much easier for both pig and owner.

Also, I recommend you get your next guinea pig from a rescue or shelter. Pet stores are the worst place you can get them. She is very cute though :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.