Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Twitching guinea pig after feeding (not popcorning)

Duskie

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone, I need you to tell me what this means please.

https://youtu.be/LDhB-dVNyBY

This happened after feeding. I dont know why and what it is.
The guinea pig is 18 days old, hand fed (mother had to be operated, because of the tumour, 3 days after their birth (she is fine for now :) ))with kitty milk and last few days fed with goat milk. Weight is 235 grams.

She drinks, eats hay, carrots, bit of cucumber, bit of lettuce and bell pepper.

Sry for my english. Thank you

How long did that last, and has it happened again?

It happened once and lasted about a minute. My girlfriend fed her 3 hours later and she had no problems and ate normally.

My guess is that she had something caught in her throat and was trying to get it out. But do keep a close eye on her in case it happens again.

We just fed her sister, the same thing happened to her, but she didnt survive, we tried massage her belly and mouth to mouth, but it didnt help. Nothing got caught in her throat, she had a new teat and nothing was bitten off from it. She weighted 284 grams at 3 weeks and 1 day :(
Could it be a weak hearth, or some defect maybe ? Her name was Jackie Sparrow :(

I'm sorry you lost your guinea pig. It kind of looks like it might be a seizure. The only way to know for sure would be to talk to a vet. Show them the video and let them know that you lost a piggy after they had the same symptoms. They should be able to give you better advice.

I've worked with orphaned guinea pigs before. It seems similar to the time that a rookie at work fed one using he wrong syringe (a much larger, stronger one) and pushed too much liquid in its mouth at once. It filled its lungs and died after having a sort of seizure...so just be careful.

I've worked with orphaned guinea pigs before. It seems similar to the time that a rookie at work fed one using he wrong syringe (a much larger, stronger one) and pushed too much liquid in its mouth at once. It filled its lungs and died after having a sort of seizure...so just be careful.

We use a "bottle" with teat (nipple) so they suck by themselves

:(

Well then I wouldn't know what happened sorry. Maybe neurological issues? :/

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.