Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Mites Mites passed to other animals and people?

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
My sister is freaking, thinking the piggy's mites may have passed to the cats because Andy sleeps in the cage. And she now is itching more and hinting she may have mites from holding them. I told her people do not get mites from the pigs but I am not sure it they could have passed to the cats and now the dog.

Now I am wondering if her hermit crab could have passed the mites because she had to dump the coconut bedding she uses because she noticed mites in it. We did freeze the news bags for two weeks before switching and bathing him, he got new sponges and all. Still trying to figure out how the pigs got mites.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The mites might bite another animal, including humans, but they generally don't set up housekeeping. They are not species specific, but they are host specific. In the case of guinea pig mites, they might spread to another rodent, but not to a dog or cat or human.

Pigs have mites all the time, as do we. You'd be surprised what's living on you. Something happens to upset the balance of things, and then you get a break-out.

See https://www.rmca.org/Articles/bugs.htm and https://lancaster.unl.edu/pest/resources/medicalmites.shtml.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Am I cleaning the cage with vinegar or a light bleach solution? Do I have to separate all six pigs during treatment or after treatment so they do not lick it off each other?

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I have also read to clean the cage once every treatment and read twice a week. I use bedding, I am not using the pellets until this is cleaned up, just using the mini flakes.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No, you don't need to separate. And vinegar and water will be fine.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.