Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Eyes/Non-crusty My guinea pig has one cloudy eye:(

AnnPar

Cavy Gazer
Yesterday I was watching my guinea pig eating hay when I noticed that he had one eye closed, and when I got closer to him I saw that he had a seemingly small piece of hay in his eye. When I got it out of his eye it was a large piece. He still had his eye half-closed even without the piece of hay in it, and that is when I saw that he had his eye like this:
My guinea pig has one cloudy eye:(

I don't know if I can take him to the vet today. I have to search for a good one first, because I live in a small town where there aren't lots of vets who can treat small animals. I'm very worried, is he going to be okay?:(

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Well, eye injuries tend to be painful, so it would be very good if you could get him to a vet. They can check the eye, and give you pain/antibiotic drops if needed.

That said, eyes are eyes are eyes, and are the one thing about a guinea pig that almost any vet can treat. So if you've got a small animal vet handy, you could take your pig in. Just don't administer any oral antibiotics for an eye problem with them being prescribed by an exotic vet.

AnnPar

Cavy Gazer
Fortunately, I was able to take him to the vet yesterday. They injected him to reduce the inflamation and gave him eye drops.
His eye looks so much better now! I'm really relieved that it wasn't a serious problem.
Thank you for you answer! :)

Sunrise

Cavy Slave
Really glad to hear that you took him into the vet. Even though it's not easy to eat the cost of a vet visit and medication, it is so much more worth it to the animals and puts them out of their pain and clears up infection so much faster. So much less misery for the animals.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.