Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Teeth Teeth Cutting Advice - Feeding my guinea pig

Mom4GuineaPigs

Cavy Slave
Hello.

First, a big thank you to everyone who has posted on this forum. I have been reading it on and off for the last 3 years, learned sooooo much.

On Friday, my 3 year old guinea pig, male, Zippy, got his back and front teeth cut at an exotic pet vet. They were so over grown he couldn't eat or move his tongue.

I am syringe feeding him his critical care as prescribed by the vet. Also syringe feeding him water. Once a day I mix some vitamin C in his syringe water. Zippy also seems to enjoy Pedialyte. He seems to be able to eat a little of his guinea pig pellets, and some mashed up strawberries and cucumber.

Thinking about trying carrot baby food and drops of fresh orange juice squeezed into his critical care food.

Trying to come up with soft foods for him to eat on his own, has been a real guessing game. Any advice is appreciated.

Also he tries to drink out of his water bottle, and seems to struggle with that. I gave him a water bowl, but he seems uninterested in that. How can I get more fluids in him? Can you bottle feed a 3 year old guinea pig?

Thank you so much.

Shirley

P.S. Some advice for guinea pigs owners. Zippy has been a "messy eater" all his life. Always had green drool down the front of him after eating foods like lettuce and pepper. This was a big red flag for teeth problems. I should have caught it earlier. If your guinea pig displays similar eating habits they may have a teeth disorder that needs to be treated.

You don't need to find soft food for him -- that's not what he needs. It's the grinding motion of the molars that keeps both the molars and the incisors ground down. Just keep hand feeding him and giving him critical care until he can eat hay on his own.

Did they give him any pain medication? Guinea pig mouths are tiny and hard to work in, and it's very common for the gums to get nicked during the planing process. This makes it painful to chew, and pain medication can often get them over the not-eating hump quicker.

You can't give him a bottle, but you can syringe water, or even better, pedialyte, to him. Give him some every time you feed him, and in between, if he'll take it. Just be careful with the pedialyte. That stuff can grown mold quicker than anything else on earth. Most people who use it longer than 48 hours will freeze it in ice cube trays and just thaw out what they need.

BPatters,

Thank you for your quick response.

Yes, the vet did prescribe Zippy a pain medication, Meloxicam. I have been dosing that as directed.

Never thought of pedialyte growing mold, I'll check it, good idea.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.