Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Wheezing Guinea pig wheezing?

NinjaAlena

Cavy Slave
So while I was feeding my two boars their evening veggies, I heard Zeke make some strange noises while he was breathing, it's hard to describe it seemed like wheezing but I'm not sure. It kind of sounded like a soft monkey 'hoo' if you know what I mean, but I'm kind of worried about it. It didn't sound like a normal wheek. Anyway, should I be worried about it? And what should I do?

How old is he?

Have you ever heard him make that sound before?

How long did it last?

A "hoot" can be caused by the pig having snuffled something up its nose, or having a bit of food in the back of its mouth, or from a respiratory infection, or a heart problem.

If it's a one-time occurrence, it's probably nothing to worry about. But watch him carefully, and pay attention to any pattern you can find -- like, he does it after eating, and/or after drinking, or when he's up and active and running around, or when he's napping.

If it's more than just an occasional occurrence, you should probably take him in for a vet visit.

I just took one of my sows in because I was a little afraid of heart problems. I noticed her hooting, so took her in and asked for an x-ray. Her heart was fine, but she had pneumonia in both lungs. No other symptoms of any kind. But I didn't take her when I heard the first hoot, I waited until I was sure it wasn't just a fluke occurrence.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.