Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

My piggy and me!

lizpow

Cavy Slave
This is hazel!! She has an odd story that is a little sad. She originally was owned by someone I didn't know and given to a teacher at my school. She spent at least a year in the animal room at my school by herself. The teacher had taken her home over the previous summer but her daughter developed allergies to her. I had been looking at getting a pair of guinea pigs for a while but as I'm at my mothers mercy for a couple more years wasn't able to convince her that guinea pigs would be worth the time it would take to maintain them. The teacher was hoping someone could take her for at least the summer so she didn't have to spend the summer completely alone besides when the teacher came to feed her. This was the perfect opportunity for both hazel and me! My mom said we could take her for the summer with the option to bring her back to school in the fall, and hazel was able to find a summer home if not a permanent one. This was a great compromise as I was having trouble deciding if I was sure I could care for an animal for the next ten years of my life but the next seven to eight is more certain. She was not given very good conditions at school but we were able to up her cage size, switch to fleece, improve her diet and give her the love and attention she deserves. We were told she is about three years old and has never had much Human contact so I am surprised that after only having her for two months she popcorn a when we come home instead of hiding. She loves attention and has my whole family trained to bring her veggies. My mom has even admitted she has fallen in love with her and can't see sending her back to school. I have begun looking around to see if I can find her a compadable female friend around the same age. I know they might end up living in a divided cage next to each other but it makes me sad to see how much time she spend sitting around when there is such a huge chance a friend could make her so much happier. I'm still looking into that for now and thought this forum would be a great place start. I looked at this forum a lot when I was researching guinea pigs from the start and am exited to be a part of it now. Here is another picture of my cutie!!

just8be8free

Cavy Slave
She is so cute!!! I'm glad you can keep her and give her the life she deserves!!!

GiuneaPigLover

Cavy Slave
It is good that you get to keep her and give her a forever home. She is very cute and will bring you great joy. It is also good that you plan to give her a companion. Way to go piggy parent.

TandZpiggies

Cavy Slave
Aww she's a cutie! I hope you can find a friend for her soon.

lmaraya

Cavy Gazer
She is absolutely adorable! You're definitely awesome for taking her in! I'm always available to talk if you have any questions or anything. Don't be shy to message me [emoji1]

lizpow

Cavy Slave
She is absolutely adorable! You're definitely awesome for taking her in! I'm always available to talk if you have any questions or anything. Don't be shy to message me [emoji1]

Thank you so much! I'll kept that in mind.

CavyChrissy

Cavy Slave
Welcome lizpow! It's awesome that you took her in, but more so that you researched guinea pigs first to make sure you knew what it takes to care for one. You will be a great piggy parent!

PandaPiggle

Cavy Slave
Your cutie is just too darn cute!!! Don't worry too much about her not getting on with a buddy, older pigs are awesome and plenty of pairs get on just fine! My first introduction was a 4 year old (Agnes) and a 3 year old (Penny), both from single pig homes. I followed all the introduction protocol and they lived happily ever after... Later becoming a herd with a young mama and her two tiny babies, and then another female after the boy baby was adopted out. It was amazing how their personalities blossomed when they got to be around other pigs.

I know people love adopting babies, because they think they're easier to introduce, but adolescence sucks. I love older pigs because they're mostly just super chill and cuddly, plus once they get on in a pair it's unlikely that will change because everyone is full size. Also I love that you're thinking about how long you know you can care for piggies, and adopting with that in mind :)

Taylor_Mett18

Cavy Slave
Aw, she's lucky to have found you and she looks super sweet! :)

lizpow

Cavy Slave
Your cutie is just too darn cute!!! Don't worry too much about her not getting on with a buddy, older pigs are awesome and plenty of pairs get on just fine! My first introduction was a 4 year old (Agnes) and a 3 year old (Penny), both from single pig homes. I followed all the introduction protocol and they lived happily ever after... Later becoming a herd with a young mama and her two tiny babies, and then another female after the boy baby was adopted out. It was amazing how their personalities blossomed when they got to be around other pigs.

I know people love adopting babies, because they think they're easier to introduce, but adolescence sucks. I love older pigs because they're mostly just super chill and cuddly, plus once they get on in a pair it's unlikely that will change because everyone is full size. Also I love that you're thinking about how long you know you can care for piggies, and adopting with that in mind :)

Thank you so much for the reassurance. It is good to know as I was worried about that.

minniesmom

Cavy Slave
She's adorable!!!! I know how you feel! I am so glad she has a home instead of a school!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.