Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

HI everyone!

icgmommy87

Cavy Slave
Hi, my name is Lindsay. I'm a mother of 3 boys and back in March I bought my sons 3 guinea pigs. It was very much an impulse buy. We were at our local Petco looking at fish and my sons spotted the guinea pigs. They begged my husband and me for the guineas, and they were so cute we couldn't resist. Side note: Please do not lecture me about buying my guineas from Petco. I realize it is better to adopt. Like I said, it was an impulse buy. Anyway, long story short we thought we had purchased 3 females but as time went on we noticed one of the "girls" seemed different. Come to find out one of them was a male. Apparently Petco "missexed", not sure if that's even the correct term lol. So now both of the girls, Michonne and Carol are pregnant and seem to be due VERY soon. I'm excited but nervous at the same time. I've never had guineas before but l have researched them like crazy, so I feel like I'm prepared for the babies. Right now I'm in the process of buying a larger cage or two. I'm obviously going to have to have my females and males in separate cages. My family members keep trying to talk me into giving the babies away but I honestay don't want to. I've never been an animal person until I got guineas. I think they are the sweetest and most adorable animals on the planet. I'll try to post pics soon. Sorry for such a long post! I look forward to talking with y'all soon and I'm excited to be part of the guinea pig community!

BaconAndEggs

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum!

Thank you for realizing that it is better to adopt. :) Are your pregnant girls doing all right? If you have any questions, you can post in the "pregnancy and babies" section, in the "medical and veterinary" forum. Also, you mentioned that you were going to buy bigger cages. Please correct me if I misinterpreted what you said, but most pet store cages are too small. A Midwest cage would be appropriate for two girls, but if you are planning to get your boy a friend(which you should consider if you haven't already)something bigger might be needed. C&C cages are a great alternative, you can find information on them on the "home" page.

Also, please feel free to ask any questions that you may have in the appropriate section of the forum. And, when you can(without disturbing the new mothers, of course!), pigtures would be wonderful!

icgmommy87

Cavy Slave
Right now I have a Midwest cage. I will be perchasing a jumbo C&C cage this weekend. I also plan on adopting a male companion for my boy guinea. Thanks for the reply!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You might as well wait until the pups are born. Maybe one or more of them will be males and can live with the father.

Also, get them in a bigger cage before the pups come. A Midwest is not nearly big enough for two sows and two sets of pups. You may well wind up with cannibalized ears on the pups if they're overcrowded.

icgmommy87

Cavy Slave
Good point! Thanks for the advice!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.