Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hi Everyone!

lovebynina

Cavy Slave
Hi! My name is Nina and I am a 32 year old female from the midwest and I do not currently have a Guinea Pig but am very interested in adopting one in the future so I thought I should join this forum so I can learn all the best things! I'm currently obsessed with looking at all the amazing GP cages because I am a sucker for beautiful cages haha. I used to own rats years ago and always decorated my rats cage with a ton of cute fleeces and such so I was pretty excited to see people do the same with Guinea Pigs! So, yea.. I don't really have much more to say about me. I am interested in this whole fleece liner thing with uhaul mats in the middle. So, they absorb all the urine? Do you put newspaper below these absorbant pads, I'd assume so, yes? I never did that with my rats, so this is like mind blowing to me! That would make cage cleaning SO much better than carefresh or just fleece. I'm also checking out the C&C cages because they are awesome. My brain is already in thought process mode trying to decide where in my tiny 1 bedroom apartment a giant cage would go and what furniture needs to be ditched LOL. Fun times. Anyway, like I said.. I'm still learning so I plan on reading ALL the threads here in hopes to absorb as much info as possible! Have a wonderful night and great to meet you all!

Hi Nina,

Welcome aboard the piggy train! You have definitely come to the right place for great information about guinea pigs. Many members here have loads of experience with these lovely critters! So feel free to ask questions. That's what we are here for.

I am interested in this whole fleece liner thing with uhaul mats in the middle. So, they absorb all the urine? Do you put newspaper below these absorbant pads, I'd assume so, yes?
Are you talking about the Fleece Flippers? A flipper is a sleeve of fleece with 2 layers of U-Haul pads inside, wrapped around a coroplast plank. You don't have to add anything to it. No newspapers or any other material. The U-Haul pads are what absorb the urine. The fleece wicks the urine away from the surface so it (and the pigs) stay dry. The urine is wicked down to the absorbant U-Haul pad material where it stays until the pads are washed.

It is a very self-sufficient system. I use them myself. One of the great things about them is that because the flippers are individual pieces, if one gets especially soiled, you can just turn it over and you have a clean surface on the other side. You don't have to take out the entire sheet of fleece just because one portion is dirty.

If you are one who likes to color coordinate or appreciates a pretty cage, Fleece Flippers come in so many different designs. So you can do a lot of mix & match. They work really well and really brighten up a cage. They are a good combination of utility & aesthetics

I'm also checking out the C&C cages because they are awesome. My brain is already in thought process mode trying to decide where in my tiny 1 bedroom apartment a giant cage would go and what furniture needs to be ditched LOL. Fun times.

LOL I live in a tiny one-bedroom apartment too and have two cats and two 2X5 C&C cages. It does work, you just have to think a little outside the box with furniture placement :) That's one of the good things about C&C cages. They are very versatile. If you need them to be an L to fit against a corner, you can do that. They might seem huge at first if you are used to seeing the old-fashioned pet-store cages but once you use them for a while, they start to feel like the norm and all the other cages seem tiny by comparison.

I am so happy you are going the adoption route! Looks like you are in WI. I am one of your neighbors to the south. So hello from an Illinois piggy person ::waving:: Do you have a rescue near you in mind? If not, have you ever used petfinder.com? It can help you locate shelters & rescues in your area. I adopted some of my pigs from The Critter Corral out in Steger.

Guinea pigs are social critters and thrive on company of their own kind so while looking for a furry friend to adopt, consider doubling your pleasure and adopting two :) It's no more work and not much more expense. Your pig will be so much happier in the long run. Perhaps look for an already bonded pair. As long as your C&C cage is an appropriate size for two (males and females differ in how much space they need), you should be good to go.

Alright, I guess I've tossed enough information at you all at once. I hope I haven't overwhelmed you. Honestly, please ask any questions you have, even if you think it's a dumb question. Chances are, if you have that question, someone else does too. And we were all new at one time and made a lot of mistakes as we learned. I know I did. I made just about every rookie mistake someone could before I found this site.

Anyway, welcome again. Glad you are here :)

Hi! Thanks for all the information! Well, Fleece Flippers really weren't what I was referring to.. just absorbent cage liners. I saw some on etsy! They were just, like, fleece pads (fleece top, bottom with uhaul pad in the middle so close to the same but no hard middle. I was looking at petfinder, as I dont know of any local guinea pig rescues but I am definitely still needing lots of research before I dive into having piggies in my life. I will also check out that Critter Coral! Not sure if I want to venture all the way down to Chicago though. Chicago intimidates me lol. I'd definitely look into getting two though! I know that with rats, they are also social creature and needed more than one. I was looking at the C&C cages in the store and was all 'oh my goodness.. transparent? no.. light blue.. no... purple...' hahaha

Ahhh okay, not Fleece Flippers. The fleece liners with the absorbent layer sewn in will work too. Just like with the Flippers, no additional layers are needed (no need for newspaper or additional fleece, etc). It's all self-contained. You spot clean daily and wash them weekly and you are good to go.

Critter Corral is not in the city of Chicago. Although I know Chicago can be intimidating :) It's a series of foster homes with guinea pigs available for adoption. The homes are located, mostly in the southern suburbs. Some are in Steger, some are in Crete, some are even in Indiana. @pinky is a volunteer with Critter Corral and can probably provide more information about it, if you wanted to go that route.

Otherwise, if you let us know your zip code, we can help you find a rescue nearby. There are quite a few members here who hail from this region. We should be able to find at least one rescue close to you.

Yes the cages store has a lot to offer. You can get a C&C cage kit which comes with everything but another option is to build your own. A lot of people (myself included) were intimidated by the idea of building our own but it's easy and inexpensive to do. The grids are available at almost any store that sells organizing material. Bed, Bath & Beyond sells a box of grids for $18. If I remember correctly, a box has 20 grids. A 2X5 cage uses 14 grids.

I am a large fleece liner person! I don't know if you're considering making them yourself? I did and it's not too hard as long as you've got a machine and lots of pins. I made my original ones for my 2X4 with fleece surrounding a single layer of uhaul blanket. When I expanded to a 2X6 with a 2X2 loft, I kept the original liners and added double-thick ones under the loft because my little ladies really like going there (I had a folded 2X4 liner under the loft before I got around to sewing the new ones so I knew that was their preferred potty locale). Also adding potty pads under hideys (and the kitchen, if you don't do disposable bedding) is a good idea, because then you can change those every couple days and it helps keep the cage clean longer, which for me with 5 girls in a 2X6, is exactly on the one week, with changing the potty pads every 2 days.

I have personally been totally intimidated by the idea of cutting coroplast (super terrified of sharp things) so I've always bought from the Cages Store, but even those take some assembly, and it's so fun and rewarding to assemble it yourself. My original cage was light blue, and my current one is purple, and I occasionally consider a transparent loft, so I'm laughing that you're knocking all my favorite colors :p (or maybe you like those colors too... hmm... maybe I'm reading that wrong.)

My original cage was light blue, and my current one is purple, and I occasionally consider a transparent loft, so I'm laughing that you're knocking all my favorite colors :p (or maybe you like those colors too... hmm... maybe I'm reading that wrong.)

I don't think she was knocking any colors. I think she was saying more like there are so many choices that it would be hard to choose. Like, "Oohhh there's a pink one...Oh wait no...there's a purple one!"

I am a large fleece liner person! I don't know if you're considering making them yourself? I did and it's not too hard as long as you've got a machine and lots of pins. I made my original ones for my 2X4 with fleece surrounding a single layer of uhaul blanket. When I expanded to a 2X6 with a 2X2 loft, I kept the original liners and added double-thick ones under the loft because my little ladies really like going there (I had a folded 2X4 liner under the loft before I got around to sewing the new ones so I knew that was their preferred potty locale). Also adding potty pads under hideys (and the kitchen, if you don't do disposable bedding) is a good idea, because then you can change those every couple days and it helps keep the cage clean longer, which for me with 5 girls in a 2X6, is exactly on the one week, with changing the potty pads every 2 days.

I have personally been totally intimidated by the idea of cutting coroplast (super terrified of sharp things) so I've always bought from the Cages Store, but even those take some assembly, and it's so fun and rewarding to assemble it yourself. My original cage was light blue, and my current one is purple, and I occasionally consider a transparent loft, so I'm laughing that you're knocking all my favorite colors :p (or maybe you like those colors too... hmm... maybe I'm reading that wrong.)

Definitely not knocking it! Those are the colors I am trying to choose from, sorry for wording it weird. =S

I do not have a sewing machine so I can't make my own. Sounds like fleece is the way to go! Is there a certain type of fleece you have to use (I am currently searching the site so I haven't quite stumbled on this yet) because I was just at walmart, looking at all the pretty colorful patterns and there was some soft fleece, rough fleece, fluffy/cuddly fleece... LOL which one do you go for? Or does it not matter? I feel like the soft fleece (not fluffy) would absorb the liquid better than the rough fleece? They have fleece blankets at Walmart for $2.88 which are huge and seems a lot less hassle to grab one or two than tracking down a walmart employee to cut your fleece for you...

I maybe rambling. I am suffering from insomnia the last few days for some odd reason but it has given me lots of ample time to read forum posts!

I go to Wal-Mart they have those fleece throws for 5.99 with all kinds of different patterns.I just wash them a few times and there my lap time blankies .but if you fold them in half they could do a 3x2 size cage I'm thinking.

I go to Wal-Mart they have those fleece throws for 5.99 with all kinds of different patterns.I just wash them a few times and there my lap time blankies .but if you fold them in half they could do a 3x2 size cage I'm thinking.

Thank you! I was just curious because it doesn't say exactly what type of fleece it is so I wasn't sure if that would work or not. I'll probably give them a go once I feel knowledgeable enough to adopt some piggies! I'm learning quite a bit between here, cage tour videos on youtube (as well as watching the adorable popcorning guinea pig videos, of course) and random websites. It's funny because when my mom and my aunt were little girls, they said they had a guinea pig (assuming it was a long haired one as they said it looked like a shaggy slipper) so I'm curious to know how they kept their guinea pig compared to the knowledge that we all have now thanks to the internet!

Yay we've got the same taste in colors :) I have the purple now and I think it's absolutely lovely!

I think plenty of people use whatever fleece they find at Walmart or similar stores, just probably not microfleece, and avoid the weird fuzzy blankets with stands of fuzz. I personally get a specific type from Joann Fabrics because I have a sewing background, but I think Walmart is a lot cheaper if you're not being picky.

Thanks for the information! I also want to thank you guys for being super friendly here. I love coming to forums where newbies feel welcome! :eek:

Welcome to the forum!

Your questions have been answered, but just let me say, welcome to the world of piggies! You're in for a wild, fuzzy, adorable ride. :D Let me tell you, these guys are wonderful! I just got them a C&C cage a few months ago, and I already want to expand. And I think I speak for a lot of members on here when I say fleece is absolutely addicting. Be prepared to spend loads more money on your piggies than you intended to.

*Applause* And, thank you for doing your research before you got your piggies! I didn't research before I got my first boy, and I really wish I had. I think I made every mistake in the book-a tiny pet store cage, bad pellets, no hay, unhealthy treats, not enough vegetables, only getting one. I'm surprised I didn't end up getting a wheel or ball! Though I probably would've if I hadn't done my research afterwards.

Thanks Bacon and Eggs! I absolutely love your forum name hehe and I saw that those were your piggy names too, which is great!!

I went ahead and ordered a C&C cage!! I decided black bars and purple base. Cannot wait to get it and then look for some friends to fill it with! :D

Love it. I have white bats and purple base. I ordered mi e as well. Easy set up

I was going to get white bars but thought they would show dirt really fast. That was my experience with my rats anyway when I had them! I know, not the same thing but I'm now gunshy from white stuff and small animals LOL.

The coroplast is inside the bars. The cavies are inside the coroplast and don't touch the bars.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.