Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Guinea pig not pooing on his own!!!!!!

Guinepig

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig isn't going poo on his own!! I have had to help him pass two turds today and both looked soft. I cleaned his parts because I thought he might have been impacted but a few minutes ago I smelled something it was piglet trying to poo. I had to help him pass that one as well. If you have any advice that would be much appreciated!! My dad won't have money for at least a few months!! Plz help!!! I am very scared and worried!!!

Guinepig

Cavy Slave
He is eating and drinking. As well as running around and wheeking

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The inability to poop is a very serious problem in a guinea pig, and needs prompt attention. Read https://www.guinealynx.info/search_bloat.html. You need to see an exotic vet for motility drugs.

Is he eating at all? Has there been any change in his diet? What exactly are you feeding him? Does his stomach feel tight? Does it sound hollow when you thump on it?

If the feces are soft, you should not be trying to help him pass them. If there are enough poops in his digestive tract, and there's no hard blockage at the opening, he'll pass them on his on. You can do more damage trying to get the poop out than if you just left them there for him to deal with.

But you need a fund for caring for your guinea pig. If he's truly bloated, this is a medical emergency, and waiting a few months for money for a vet may well mean you have a dead pig. If you're old enough to have a guinea pig, you're old enough to do chores and put money back for your pig's care.

Guinepig

Cavy Slave
Yes he is eating. Lots of hay, his pellets (Sorry to say though that they are really cruddy pellets) Lettuce, and the occasional carrot. And my parents don't do allowance or anything like that... And my dad won't let me sell any of my old stuff so I can take him to a vet!

Guinepig

Cavy Slave
@bpatters would you happen to have an estimate on how much it would cost?

Guinepig

Cavy Slave
Do you know how good Boyce Animal Hospital is? It is in Indiana. It says they work with exotic pets. I am convincing my dad to take them... I am calling tomorrow to see if I can get an estimate on the cost and to see how many guinea pigs they have treated.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Hold on a minute here.

If he's eating, he's probably pooping. He may be eating all his poops, and not just the cecal ones. Or if he has a cagemate, the cagemate may be eating them. And if he's eating and drinking and running around and wheeking, it's not likely that he's sick.

How long has it been since you know for sure that he has pooped? Is there another pig in the cage with him? If there is another pig with him, take him out and put him in laundry basket with a light-colored towel and leave him for a couple of hours and see if he poops. You can drape a towel over the top so he feels more secure, and you can put some food in with him.

If he doesn't have another pig with him, then clean his cage and put down fresh bedding. If you're using something like shavings or carefresh, then put a towel over it so the poops won't fall down into the bedding. That way, you can see how much he's actually pooping.

I have no idea what it would cost to take him to a vet in Indiana. I live in Texas. The way you get that information accurately, instead of someone's guess, is to call the vet and ask what they would charge to see him. But I can find no information on the web that suggests these people know anything about guinea pigs. (broken link removed)

Guinepig

Cavy Slave
Hold on a minute here.

If he's eating, he's probably pooping. He may be eating all his poops, and not just the cecal ones. Or if he has a cagemate, the cagemate may be eating them. And if he's eating and drinking and running around and wheeking, it's not likely that he's sick.

How long has it been since you know for sure that he has pooped? Is there another pig in the cage with him? If there is another pig with him, take him out and put him in laundry basket with a light-colored towel and leave him for a couple of hours and see if he poops. You can drape a towel over the top so he feels more secure, and you can put some food in with him.

If he doesn't have another pig with him, then clean his cage and put down fresh bedding. If you're using something like shavings or carefresh, then put a towel over it so the poops won't fall down into the bedding. That way, you can see how much he's actually pooping.

I have no idea what it would cost to take him to a vet in Indiana. I live in Texas. The way you get that information accurately, instead of someone's guess, is to call the vet and ask what they would charge to see him. But I can find no information on the web that suggests these people know anything about guinea pigs. (broken link removed)
He does have other cage mates but he has been in a separate cage almost half the day with some pellets, water, and hay. Usually he goes straight for the pellets but the dish of pellets looks like it hasn't been touched the entire time... He ate a little bit of hay. The only other thing he has tried to eat besides the hay is the fleece he is on.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Can you put his cage in the cage with the big one? That way he won't feel isolated, which may be why he's not eating.

Why did you separate him out in the first place?

Guinepig

Cavy Slave
Can you put his cage in the cage with the big one? That way he won't feel isolated, which may be why he's not eating.

Why did you separate him out in the first place?
The second cage isn't that big.... And I separated him because he wasn't eating his pellets and only ate a few bites of hay. So I decided to separate him so I could keep an eye on him. Still no poop. And I am sure he is not eating it.

Guinepig

Cavy Slave
Cavies sometimes get simple gas and they don't eat much nor defecate as usual. Does his belly seem swollen? If so, thump on it lightly and see if it sounds hollow.

You should keep a bottle of simethicone drops in your piggy medical kit. They are marketed as "childrens' gas drops" and can be found in any pharmacy or places like Target and some grocery stores. Give your piggy a dropper-full morning and evening and see if he responds. If it is indeed gas, then he should respond in 24-48 hours......or less.

The drops actually taste good and won't hurt your boy even if the problem isn't gas. They have actually saved me a vet visit on more than one occasion.

Thanks!! Me and my dad are going to get some tomorrow! Is there a specific brand I should get? Should it say infants or childrens, Should it be flavored, and where would you recommend getting the dropper?? What should the label say?

Guinepig

Cavy Slave
My dad is making dinner. And won't be able to go until tomorrow. My dad has arthritis in the legs and is in pain most of the day. We will be going tomorrow morning. I wish I could drive so that I could go and get them right now! lol. One more question... Will it say infant pail reliever on it?

Last edited:

Guinepig

Cavy Slave
lol! Pain not pail!!!

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
You want infant gas relief drops, not pain relief. The generic name of the drug is simethicone.

Guinepig

Cavy Slave
Update: Piglet has done 1 poo on his own!! I am still going to get the infant gas relief drops today just to be safe!

Guinepig

Cavy Slave
Happy to say that Piglet is doing much better!! He has pooped almost 5 times while I was holding him!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.