Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Possible URI or is he fine?

kirt15

Cavy Slave
My little guy Rodney seems to have a bit of a runny nose (not a lot) and has been sneezing occasionally is this a sign that he has a URI? If so do I need to take him to the vet or can I give him some antibiotics at home and just monitor him to see if it gets worse? It doesn't seem too bad at the moment it isn't constant sneezing and his nostrils only look wet occasionally and there seems to only be a little bit there and he is definitely eating fine and running around still.

Thoughts?

pinky

Cavy Slave
I'd take him in. It's easier to treat a URI earlier than waiting until it progresses into something more. I wouldn't give him antibiotics without having a vet check him because guinea pigs can build up a tolerance to antibiotics, just like humans can, so you don't want to medicate unnecessarily.

Piggly12

Cavy Slave
That is pretty much exactly what happened to my Clover. They vet says that she might have an infection in her mouth, and prescribed 0.2 mL of Enrofloxacin (Baytril I think) 2 times per day for 10 days. Is this OK, too much, too long etc? I thought it seemed like a lot for a few sneezes and a runny nose, and I also thought there was a milder version of the medicine for younger piggies (Clover is about 4 or 5 months old) that wouldn’t risk stunting her growth...

By the way this is the vet we saw:
(broken link removed)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Baytril is probably fine at 4-5 months, so I wouldn't worry.

We don't know whether that's too much medicine or not. You have to know how strong the medicine is (how many milligrams per milliliter) and how much your pig weighs to be able to figure that out. But assuming a normal strength for the enrofloxacin, that sounds about right.

You need to watch to be sure she continues to eat, as the med can affect her appetite. Get a probiotic (bene-bac, or plain human acidophilus or kyodophilus) and give it to her about an hour and a half after each dose of the medication.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.