Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick what is the best way to administer critical care?

prettynyguen

Cavy Slave
hi, I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for the best way to feed critical care to my guinea pig. My vet game me syringes, and told me to mix it with water, but I was wondering if any of you have had success with any other methods, or if this is best way.

thanks for any help.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Some pigs will just eat it. I give mine a heaping teaspoon of the anise-flavored stuff every night, and I just mix it fairly thick and put it the side of the plate. You might try that first.

If not, syringes are the best. But you need either a pet-feeding syringe (@spy9doc, where are you?), or one large syringe and several 1 ml. syringes. Cut the tips off the 1 ml syringes, pull the plungers out, and use the large syringe to load the barrels of the small ones. See https://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html for how to do it.

prettynyguen

Cavy Slave
thank you for helping so quickly. I just tried feeding it to him on a spoon, but he didn't seem to know it was food. I managed to get about a tsp. inside him with the syringe, and he seemed to like it, so I'll try it on the plate now as you suggested. I have a pet syringe, and my husband works at a pharmacy, so I try the methods you suggested. thanks again.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If he's not eating anything else, he needs 50-60 cc of critical care for every kilogram he weighs. If he is eating other things, you can decrease that amount accordingly.

Some people have good luck mixing it with something the pig likes. You can use plain pumpkin (not the pie filling), squash or carrot baby food, ground herbs such as coriander or dill or basil -- anything that will tempt him to eat, really.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.