Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Wood!?

• Thread starter savannahsatchel
  • Start date

savannahsatchel

Cavy Slave
So I want to build something sturdy to put my cages on, something like the pictures I have attached (some found on this forum). Where do you guys recommend getting the materials from? Wood!?Wood!?Wood!?

You should be able to buy wood from home depot or any lumberyard.

The piggies won't be living on the wood directly, but is there any specific type of wood I should stay away from?

I'd stay away from anything treated as deck wood because it contains arsenic. Any type of painted base that made in the U.S. before 1978 or made overseas might contain lead

Thank you so much.

Don't use the greenish tinted treated wood (it should also be labelled as such) or cedar. You can get nice poplar or douglas fir boards at many large hardware stores like menards and home depot or if you really want to splurge and spend money you can get hardwood boards like oak. Some places will cut it for you. Then you just have to screw it together.

You're a lifesaver, thank you! I expected it to be much more complicated than that, lol.

I think the top cage is actually a bit small on each level, unless it's at least 8 square feet.

The bottom book case is much too small. I have those bookcases, and they are not deep nor wide enough.

I just needed to know where to get the materials to make shelves for my two c&c cages.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.