Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Litter Training Litter box ideas

MLT2007

Cavy Slave
I have coroplast litter boxes in both of my cages that I fill with wood pellets. I need a better solution. The coroplast boxes are getting trashed and aren't really sturdy enough. I need something shallow, probably no more than 3 inches tall. I have searched for Rubbermaid products and have a potential purchase in mind, but wanted to check here since forum members have the best ideas. Also, if bought online could you post a link? Thanks!!

MLT2007

Cavy Slave
It won't show the page. I am at work and sometimes things won't load properly here. I will have to wait until I get home. Thanks in advance for the idea :)

lissie

Cavy Slave
It's a potting tray. If you could cut off the shelf at the back, it won't take up too much space.
Litter box ideas

(broken link removed)

It's cheaper at Home Depot ($13) than on Amazon ($19).

MLT2007

Cavy Slave
That would be perfect as long as it's sturdy plastic and not that flimsy stuff potted plants come in. I will definitely look into that. See, this is why I turn to you guys here...always the best ideas!

MLT2007

Cavy Slave
I like the disposable ones too. I love the idea of constant freshness. :) Are those at pets stores or Walmart/Meijer?

lissie

Cavy Slave
It looks like a great idea, Lissie, but the lip on the front appears to be too low?
I don't think it's that low. The tray is 6" tall, looks like the lip is about 2".

MLT2007

Cavy Slave
These are all great ideas! Thanks! I will have to check them out at the stores and decide which I want. All I know now is that the coroplast boxes I made are on their last leg. They won't make it through another fleece change, which is when I also change the wood pellets in the boxes. Those pellets have really done wonders for keeping odor down. Whoever discovered those for GP cages is a genius :)

ThatGirlMarie

Cavy Slave
What are the brand of wood pellets and where can you buy them? I live in NYC so farm type stores aren't going to work but buying online will! We don't mind the care fresh but we need something for odor.

lissie

Cavy Slave
Buying wood pellets online will be very expensive. They are very heavy and will cost a lot of money to ship.

Have you look at home depot or similar stores?
I buy my wood pellets from OSH. I buy the wood stove type. Make sure it's 100% wood with no additives.

MLT2007

Cavy Slave
I buy mine at Lowe's right now. When summer hits I may have to look into farm stores. I started putting them in litter boxes when I noticed my foster pigs do most of their business under their hay pile (they don't like hay racks) and my pigs do the majority of their business where the hay rack is. I thought if I could have a box there with the wood pellets I could go longer in between full cage cleanings. It has worked wonders. The pellets turn to saw dust when wet and you just mix them around daily. Some people have full cages of pellets with fleece on top and have had great luck with that. The pellets are only about $6 with tax for a 40 pound bag.

ThatGirlMarie

Cavy Slave
Definitely going to be trying this, thanks @spy9doc! I'm off to petsmart for some piggie friendly shampoo (contacted former owner last night and found out they've never seen a vet and I assume that means they've probably never had a bath either...ugh poor babies!!) and other supplies. Will have to make a petco trip this week. I'm in the process of constructing a 1x2 kitchen loft. I have a box with carefresh in it that they use a lot (of course they poop everywhere else too....) and they mostly poop where they eat, so if I move it to one area, it might help.

pepperbelle

Cavy Slave
Why is the coro litter box falling apart? I am very new to all this and just bought all of my c&c materials yesterday. I build the cubes last night and will be building the coro liner and litter box tonight. I thought a coro litter box sounded like a perfect solution but I am a little discouraged after reading your post.

theblueofnoon

Cavy Slave
I'm curious, too, as I have a coroplast litter box. Mine seems sturdy. As long as I get 6 months or so use out of it, I'll be satisfied. I can always make another.

LoveMyPigs25

Cavy Slave
(broken link removed)

I bought two of these in size small. They fit perfectly side by side in a c&c cage. I put a hay bag in each. They are VERY
sturdy.

poop_patrol

Cavy Slave
I built a simple coroplast litter box and it has held up very well for 3-4 months with no end in sight. The piggies did put a few chew marks into it at first, but they learned to ignore it. I'm not sure why the original poster's coroplast box isn't holding up. But don't let that discourage you from trying it.

At first I filled the box with kiln dried pine shavings. That worked well except the piggies kicked it and tracked it all over the fleece. (And it is HARD to get out of the fleece for washing!) Then I switched to pellets in the litter box and that worked much better except I found that I was frequently scooping saturated, mashed pellets out of the box because the piggies really only peed in 2 corners of the litter box.

So I decided to do something a little different than anyone else I have seen on this forum. Now I use wood pellets to fill the bulk of the litter box, but I then mix in a handful of pine shavings only in the spots where they frequently pee. The combination of the shavings and pellets absorb a lot more than just pellets before it needs to be raked, and the fleece outside the box remains pine shaving free.

Give that a try.

ThatGirlMarie

Cavy Slave
I bought one of those small sized disposable litter boxes and filled it with a carefresh-like bedding and they use it. Of course, they still poop everywhere and pee other places, but since it's near their hay it collects a lot. I love the litter box. It's sturdy and almost seems indestructible. They like to chew on it too.

MLT2007

Cavy Slave
I had the edges taped and the tape is getting yucky and falling off because of the sawdust from the pellets. I have to keep taping it and now it is just in pitiful shape. It has done me well for a couple of months but I would just like something more "permanent," if that makes sense.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.