Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Bella and Lilly Possible Ringworm

Bellaandlilly

Cavy Slave
Hello! My name is Yvi, I bought two guinea pigs a little over a month ago. On the left is Bella, whom is my pig and on the right is Lilly, whom is my 5 year old daughters pig.
When I purchased Bella, she had what looked to be a bite mark on her top right eye. It didn't concern me at the time but its still there. I currently realized a small spot on her ear. It looked dried with blood. After researching, I'm confused if it could be mites or ringworm. I read and read and convinced myself its ringworm. So I went to the drug store and bought athletic foot miconazole nitrate (power spay) only because I couldn't find the cream. I also purchased Nizoral A-D ketoconazloe shampoo 1%. I've used the athlete foot spray once yesterday and once today. I choose not to use the Nizoral shampoo, until it heals some. So my questions are, did I make a mistake using the power spray? Should I use the shampoo, even if I see dried blood? Can it harm her if she eats the spray? Will she eat the spray? How many times a day should I apply the spray? I'm freaking out![emoji33]

Attachments

uploadfromtaptalk1423279326603.jpg
Last edited:
Re: Introducing Bella and Lilly

Hi n welcome. First did you buy the piggies from a pet store and were their other piggies with them.if your not comfortable with the spray then i wouldn't use it .I've heard of using the cream but not sure about the spray.what I would suggest for both of they came from pet store is get a wellness check up for them both from an exotic pet vet.and let someone whose experienced with piggies guide you and determine if it's ringworm or not .best of luck and their both cuties you have.

That looks like fungus. I won't use the spray that close to the eyes.

Yes, I purchased them both from the same pet store. Bella first, a week later, I purchased Lilly and yes they were with other pigs.

I spray it on a q-tip. Couldn't find the cream.:-\

Last edited:

So is fungus different from ringworm?

I had them both in the same c&c cage up until today. Lilly has no sign of it. I put Bella in a pet store cage for now. I read that ringworm is extremely hard to remove from wood. I have the c&c cage on a wooden table with a table cloth underneath the cage. I also put Bella in the pet store cage, underneath the same wooden table. Is this not a good idea, should I remove Bella's cage from under the wooden table?

If your isolating her in the smaller cage I wouldn't keep her under the table.if you can try n put her on another table so she won't feel so alone and still be part of normal house activities. still recommend a wellness visit for them both.if they were in with other piggies they could of caught it from them.

I'm surprised that you were able to find the spray but not any anti-fungal cream. It's used for Jock-itch and yeast infections, so check out both those areas.

If your isolating her in the smaller cage I wouldn't keep her under the table.if you can try n put her on another table so she won't feel so alone and still be part of normal house activities. still recommend a wellness visit for them both.if they were in with other piggies they could of caught it from them.
The spray seems to be working well. Bella's ears is clearing up. She popcorns around her cage and is eating well. I used the Nizoral shampoo, which I think help with her mood, since she was no longer itchy.[emoji4] I have a smaller table that might be wide enough for her cage to sit on. Thanks for the advice. [emoji2]

I'm surprised that you were able to find the spray but not any anti-fungal cream. It's used for Jock-itch and yeast infections, so check out both those areas.
As much as I wanted to find the cream I couldn't. Good news the spray seems to be working. For the patch on her eye, I spray it on a q-tip then apply.

To find the cream, all you have to do is walk into any drugstore. It's sold as Monistat, Nystatin, and several other names.

To find the cream, all you have to do is walk into any drugstore. It's sold as Monistat, Nystatin, and several other names.
Okay, that's good to know. I was searching just for athletes food cream. I tried CVS, Family Dollar, Market Basket and Walgreen's with no luck but just the spray.

I got a cream from the vet for my pigs

Update on Bella's Ringworm. The spray has worked! Her hair is growing back around her eye and ears. I ended up putting Lilly back in the same cage as Bella because she started showing signs on her nose. Lilly's nose cleared up as well, its no longer red or swollen. I've been applying the spray for 3 weeks know. I'm unsure when I should stop. I'm afraid that if I do too soon, the ringworm will come back.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.