Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Newbie Guinea Pig Person

Blake81

Cavy Slave
Hi All! I LOVE this forum and have stalked it for a while now! No pigs yet but have ordered all the following items and have my eye on a couple of rescue pigs. We have decided to wait until we get back from an early February vacation to adopt two pigs but want to get the cage and everything set up.

I think it's mostly covered, at least for the beginning stages:
  • C&C 2x4 with loft (hoping loft will work as kitchen area, I know that will depend on pigs) and stand
  • 2 water bottles
  • food bowl
  • Timothy Hay
  • Pellets
  • 2 Houses
  • Fleece Flippers for the bottom

I know I need to get some easy to clean bedding for the kitchen area, "toys", and possibly a hay rack if they make a mess of the hay. Any other big things I'm missing to get us up an running? (Didn't realize these guys were so expensive to start off!).

We have three dogs so the cage will be covered and it's going in a room we already block off from dogs with a gate unless supervised.

Thanks for all the helpful advice already out there!

BaconAndEggs

Cavy Slave
I think you have everything you need, and applause for doing your research! :)
I'm sure your piggies will be very happy.

Blake81

Cavy Slave
Application submitted for these two girls today! unnamed.png

AmberCalzone

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum, and thank you so much for doing your research!

Everything looks great :)
I did free-hay on the floor of my cage for my six piggies when I had them, and they didn't mess in it. I've heard of some people wasting hay because their pigs would pee in it. Hopefully you won't have that problem, because free feeding hay is just so darn easy, and it's super adorable seeing a big group of piggies munching around a huge pile of hay, hehe.

By the way those pigs are ADORABLE! I do hope you post cage pictures once your C&C is all set up and ready to go!

Kenna18155

Cavy Slave
Lovely pigs and lovely plan! The only question I have is: what brand of pellets do you plan to feed? Many ones sold in pet stores are junk, and it's a good idea to get good-quality ones.

Blake81

Cavy Slave
Here are my guys! I brought them home last night. Little bit of rumblestrutting and chasing from the white guy but nothing major. When I brought them home last night I just put the travel carrier in the cage and let them come out on their own. I mostly left them alone (other than watching!) last night and this morning. Me picking them up for the first time today was a comedy of errors but no one is hurt and we got it figured out! The black one came up and stepped on my leg while I sat during floor time; hail the power of the apple! Haven't decided on names yet.

10921606_10101041628465406_1187056575993053884_o.jpg

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.