Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Convincing for bigger cages

Summertoffee

Cavy Slave
Hi, I love my guinea pigs and I want them all to live inside. But every time I ask, they say "No!". So I need a bit of help with convincing them because I would like them to have bigger cages also. Three of my guinea pigs live inside at the moment, but I would like at least 8-9 to live inside. But also have nice, fun, big, fancy, cages. Please help, Roo.

oldnewie

Cavy Slave
How many Guinea pigs do you have?
They need the largest cage/s possible. Obviously males & females need separate cages. Maybe your parents think you have too many to keep inside, there's not enough space, there may be smell issues, etc?? Why are only 3 allowed inside?
Others will come in soon with advice to help you. In the meantime, have you had a look at other threads & posts on this topic? That will also help.

Fay

Cavy Slave
You can build a 2x5 C&C cage that has multiple levels stacked on top of each other so that you don't take more space with multiple cages but I wouldn't do more than 3 levels.

This might not be enough to house all your guinea pigs however as each level would only support 3 guinea pigs. Can I ask why do you have so many?

I know that it's difficult but it might be worth considering putting a few up for adoption if it means the remainder can stay inside with you (and make sure to keep them separated by gender so you don't end up with more).

I don't feel that it's fair to keep too many if it means they have to live outside where they might get ill or killed by predators. They're meant to be indoor pets that are part of the family.

Why do they not want you to have a larger cage indoors? Is there a specific reason why not?

Last edited:

Kenna18155

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs are healthiest and happiest inside. If your parents won't let you keep them inside, you may want to rehome a few of them so you have more time and space to spare for the rest. May I ask why you have so many piggies?

BaconAndEggs

Cavy Slave
I agree with all of the above posts; guinea pigs are healthiest and happiest inside. If you have them outside, they are more likely to become ill.

Summertoffee

Cavy Slave
My mother just told me a May be able to get one or two 2x6 c&c cages. That means each one should be able to hold up to 5 piggies, that means in one cage there will be 5 and in the other there can be 4 (Last one doesn't get along with the other piggies). So I could use my cage I have at the moment for the one that doesn't get along. That way they will all be inside. I love my piggies. I've already lost 2 of my babies before, and it broke my heart severely.

Aertyn

Cavy Gazer
A 2x6 is only large enough for 4 guinea pigs. For 6 you would need a 2x8 cage.

Fay

Cavy Slave
You should be able to stack the two cages and if you lack the wall length you could make it L-shaped. You would probably need extra support with such a big cage so you might want to look into support rods and other solutions. Something like this except a 2x8:

Convincing for bigger cages

Bedding will be tricky for such a large cage. The most cost effective would be fleece, however large sheets of fleece might not fit in a washing machine and will also be hard to clean so I think fleece flippers will probably work best. You could of course use disposable bedding but that might get very heavy and costly.

Also I think it's great that you're working to get those pigs inside as well as give them the extra space. They will love it and it will promote happiness and good health.

Last edited:

AmberCalzone

Cavy Slave
Guys, the item description for a 2x6 says that it can hold up to 5 pigs. And she said she's planning on putting 4-5 in each cage, not 6 in a cage ^.^

Fay

Cavy Slave
2x6 would be the recommended size for 4 guinea pigs. Since I assume one cage will house boars they tend to need more space on top of that. So 2x7 would be the recommended size for 5 guinea pigs and 2x8 to be comfortable, especially for the boars.

So, Although a 2x6 could work it might feel a bit too cramped. If the space is there to add the extra grid to 2x7 it would really help and 2x8 would be ideal. Or the bigger the better really but that isn't always viable obviously.

Just have to remember that the more pigs you have in a cage the more hidey houses you need which take at least 1x1 grid each which turns a 2x6 in 2x3 and a bit for 5 pigs which isn't a huge amount and makes it harder for all those pigs to find room to get away from the others when desired.

Last edited:

Fay

Cavy Slave
A 2x6 inside is much, much better than them staying outside. I was just clarifying the size recommendations. It's why I said that it could work with a 2x6 :eek:

Summertoffee

Cavy Slave
I talked to my dad again. He said it's just the space cages take up that bothers him. So, we have come up with a plan to make big cages for the guinea pigs, but they won't take up a whole room.

BaconAndEggs

Cavy Slave
That's great! If I may ask, what are their sizes?

Summertoffee

Cavy Slave
The pigs or the cages? I have to get rid of some of my guinea pigs :( But we said the remaining might be able to be moved inside, I was thinking c&c cages or make my own. Of course no wire floors.

Summertoffee

Cavy Slave
Pig Room

I'm not sure if this is the right category, but so I have to get rid some of my beloved guinea pigs (dads orders). He said that my remaining guinea pigs may be able to live inside. My guinea pigs that live inside at the moment take up a lot of my room. I have asked him if I could give me the guinea pigs their own room "Pig Room", as we have a spare room, a living room we never use and my mum has two rooms for her craft items, she doesn't even use one of the rooms. Every time I ask he gets angry at me. I can't think of any way to convince him to let them have a room or to get them big cages, but they won't take up my room. Please, any ideas?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.