Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury Anyone Have Experience with an Arthritic Guinea Pig?

ama0219

Cavy Slave
So Saturday evening we noticed one of our oldest boys Howie (almost 5 years old) would not put his left hind leg on the ground. We put him in isolation so he could rest and not use the leg. He was still eating well but not drinking so we were syringing him water to keep him hydrated.

We took him to our cavy savvy vet this morning and had X-rays done. Nothing is broken, but the vet did notice that he has severe arthritis is both legs and some bone loss around his joints. Vet gave us some metacam to give him for the next 7 days and said he may need it for the rest of his life when he has a flare up. Howie was munching on some hay when I left for work earlier.

Anyone had an arthritic piggy before? I would love some tips to help ease his pain.

ama0219

Cavy Slave
Vet gave us premeasured doses for him.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If it turns out to be a long term treatment, though, you'll need to get the vet to adjust it downward to the lowest possible point. All pain relievers can have adverse effects themselves, so you don't want to cause another problem with the treatment for this one.

ama0219

Cavy Slave
Ok I will definitely remember that if that's what ends up happening. The vet is hoping it won't be a every day thing once we get this flare he is having under control. We are just in the trying to see what will work stage right now

ama0219

Cavy Slave
Anyone Have Experience with an Arthritic Guinea Pig?Here's our old man. Just gave him some water since I still don't think he's drinking. Can't tell much of a difference yet. He's still alert and eating though.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
He's adorable! Feel better Howie, I know how much arthritis hurts!

ama0219

Cavy Slave
Update: So Howie is now drinking water out of the bottle and moving better around the quarantine cage even though he isn't quite ready to bear weight on his leg. He still isn't really eating pellets but is eating any veggies and his hay that we put in the bottom of the cage for easier reach.

Looked at the dosage on the meds earlier and the vet gave him .12ml once a day for 7 days.

Still researching on what we can do to help him live as pain free as possibly. He's the first piggie we've had with arthritis.

ama0219

Cavy Slave
Update on Howie: Things are getting worse not better. He's still eating and drinking, but the medication is not having much of an effect. He is pretty much dragging or hopping himself around. Last night we noticed he has developed a lump on his right side. And he is having a little impaction trouble.

The vet said to try the antibiotics he is going to prescribe and bring him in tomorrow morning.

I guess I need to know are we keeping him alive for our own good? He appears to be suffering to me, and I don't want that.

I don't know what to do guys. I don't have the money to keep spending on him and if we think there's a chance for a normal life I have will find a way to do it. I'm just worried that I'm spending all this money to just prolong his suffering.

I really don't know what to do.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Poor little guy, that sounds really difficult to deal with. I don't think 5 is all that old for a piggie though?

ama0219

Cavy Slave
I don't think so either. Sitting at the vet's office now so we will see. My last 2 to pass away passed between 5-6 though. We just lost one of our girls this summer.

ama0219

Cavy Slave
In the end it was all too much for Howie to overcome. He had no use of his leg, was in pain, and losing weight. After discussion with our vet, we decided to put him to sleep. I'm devastated but I know he is in a better place.

miniver

Cavy Slave
It sounds like you made a difficult decision but it was in his best interest. Deepest sympathies.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry for your loss, I completely understand the decision you made.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
I'm so very sorry for your loss, Howie isn't suffering anymore and that's what was best for him. RIP little Howie.

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry for your loss. It sounds like he may have had some neurological problems. I had a pig with neurological problems who would lose the ability to walk on the back end, and on occasion lose all ability to walk. This happened on and off for the last 6 months of her life before she passed from a blood clot. I also had a pig with arthritis, but it was not severe. If it became severe I was going to have acupuncture done for her.

janinehunt

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
So sorry about Howie.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.