Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury Blood and bleeding!!

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave
This morning when I went to check on the boys (Peanut and the recently weaned baby Twix), I noticed one of Peanut's ears and his feet were really red and warm with blood (on the inside). Also, I moved the food bowl to refill it and there were a few bloody shavings! I checked them over almost immediately and didn't notice any cuts or anything. Can anyone help me and tell me what this is? I'm so scared for Peanut and don't know what's wrong!!

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave
I just checked them again (the first time was actually a couple of hours ago) and the coloring of Peanut ears and feet are now more or less normal. I should add the are acting normally and eating like pigs.

dani_starr

Cavy Slave
Can you get a couple pictures? Pardon if this seems like a stupid question, but have you fed them any tomatoes/cherries/red fruits recently? I know I have given myself quite a few mini heart attacks when I've forgotten that I fed my piggies a red fruit earlier that day, and wake up to find red "blood" everywhere!

This is just a shot in the dark, but could it be urine scald? Found this post https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/red-back-feet-with-picture.82175/

Other than that, I have no idea what it could be. I'm sure some more experienced people will answer though :)

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave
@dani_starr no, I'm sure it wasn't tomatoes or anything. he hasn't had anything red since yesterday morning. Urine scald sounds possible, but since another post about his feet, I have been keeping the cage VERY clean. Also, the picture in the post you linked didn't work. And the redness was like when you have a fever and your blood vessels rise and you turn red and sweat or whatever to cool off.
@Kelsie I meant inside like blood vessels. Not where you or mites can reach. Thanks though!

All earlier signs are gone. I cleaned out the bloody shavings (there weren't any more, thank goodness) and they are doing fine. I will post later if anything else happens. Thanks for your help!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.